• New York ... New YorkBy Gerry Callahan, May 6, 1996There's a blast from the past in the Big Apple, where rookie shortstop Rey Ordonez of the Mets ... and his Yankees counterpart, Derek Jeter, evoke memories of Pee Wee and the Scooter.
Long On ShortstopsBy Tom Verducci, February 24, 1997The Yankees' Derek Jeter is part of a rich crop of young players who are redefining the position.
• Prince Of The CityBy Michael Silver, June 21, 1999Gotham loves its real bat man, Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter, who's got what it takes -- looks, poise, talent -- to be the top banana in the Big Apple.
• October's GuyBy Stephen Cannella, November 1, 1999After just four years in the big leagues, Derek Jeter is building a postseason record for the ages
• The Toast Of The TownBy Tom Verducci, November 6, 2000After leading the Yankees to another World Series title, cool yet fiercely competitive Derek Jeter owns Yankee Stadium -- and the rest of New York City -- the way no player since Joe DiMaggio has.
• Dear Derek ...By Rick Reilly, August 13, 2001The locker next to Derek Jeter's in the New York Yankees' home clubhouse throbs with his unopened mail. It piles up in feet. Spills onto the carpet. Gives off odd smells. Aches to be opened. So I asked him if I could open it all. He said yes. Here's what I found in 261 pieces of mail.
• Hitting BottomBy Tom Verducci, Jume 7, 2004Even great hitters aren't immune to horrific slumps. How does a player like Derek Jeter suddenly lose his way at the plate -- and how does he find his way back?
• Sportsman of the Year - Derek JeterBy Tom Verducci, December 7, 2009It is not so much what he accomplished at 35 -- a fifth World Series ring capping a historic season, to be sure -- as how the Yankees' shortstop arrived at his iconic place. Being the ultimate team player and a role model synonymous with winning has brought him still another title:
You May Like
Sign Up for our Newsletter
Don't get stuck on the sidelines! Sign up to get exclusives, daily highlights, analysis and more—delivered right to your inbox!