WWE announced Friday that it has terminated its contract with Hall of Fame wrestler Hulk Hogan.
“WWE terminated its contract with Terry Bollea (aka Hulk Hogan),” the statement reads. “WWE is committed to embracing and celebrating individuals from all backgrounds as demonstrated by the diversity of our employees, performers and fans worldwide.”
Specific details about Hogan's termination were not provided, but on Friday morning, Hogan acknowledged it was related to an incident eight years ago. The newly-released audio contains Hogan using repeated racial slurs when talking about his daughter's love life.
“It was unacceptable for me to have used that offensive language; there is no excuse for it; and I apologize for having done it,” Hogan said. “This is not who I am. I believe very strongly that every person in the world is important and should not be treated differently based on race, gender, orientation, religious beliefs or otherwise. I am disappointed with myself that I used language that is offensive and inconsistent with my own beliefs.”
Earlier, Wade Keller of Pro Wrestling Torch reported Hogan is “apparently done with WWE,” and as of Friday morning, has been removed from the organization's website.
Hogan has been taken off the list of judges for WWE's reality TV show, Tough Enough. His merchandise has also been pulled from the WWE online store.
Hogan's name does appear on the roster for WWE's upcoming tour of Australia in August, but his biography page now says: “You are not authorized to access this page.” Old stories linked to Hogan also appear in the website's archives.
Previously, it looked like this: