Court date for P.J. Hairston assault case moved to September
P.J. Hairston's court date over a July incident in which he allegedly assaulted a 17-year-old during a pickup game has been moved to Sept. 12.
Hairston had been ordered to appear in Durham County court on Aug. 8 to face misdemeanor assault charges. Hairston's lawyer said the court date could also be moved to October.
Hairston's agent, Juan Morrow, said Hairston threw a punch at Kentrell Barkley, the 17-year-old in question, but that it was in retaliation to Barkley punching Hairston. Barkley said he did not provoke Hairston.
Hairston, 21, was acquired by the Hornets in a draft-night trade with the Heat.
Hairston has been involved in a string of off-court incidents over the past year, including a marijuana possession charge -- which was later dropped -- and an NCAA investigation into his illicit use of rental cars connected to a convicted felon.
Morrow reportedly not earning NBPA certification drew more negative attention to Hairston.
Hairston averaged 18.3 points over seven summer league games in July.
- Chris Johnson