Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE via Getty Images

New York Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony denied accusations that he sat out regular season games so that he would be able to play in this Sunday's All-Star Game. Anthony, 30, has played in just 40 of New York's 53 games this season because of a knee injury, and he sat out two of the team's last three games before the break.

By SI Wire
February 13, 2015

New York Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony denied accusations that he sat out regular season games so that he would be able to play in this Sunday's All-Star Game, ESPN's Ian Begley reports.

Anthony, 30, has played in just 40 of New York's 53 games this season because of a knee injury, and he sat out two of the team's last three games before the break. With the Knicks co-hosting All-Star Weekend with the Brooklyn Nets, some speculated that Anthony was saving himself for the All-Star Game.

Anthony disputed those rumors, calling them "absurd." He also said he played several regular season games after being told to rest his knee, according to Begley.

• GOLLIVER: Will shooters steal the show during All-Star Saturday?

While Anthony denied sitting out games with an eye on Sunday, he did say that he will get knee surgery if that is the best option.

Anthony is averaging 24.2 points, 6.6 rebounds and 3.1 assists while shooting 44.4 percent from the field this season.

In their first season under head coach Derek Fisher and president Phil Jackson, the Knicks are 10-43 and in last place in the Eastern Conference. They set a franchise record earlier this season with a 16-game losing streak.

• MAHONEY: Derrick Rose carries Bulls to win over Cavs

- Paul Palladino

You May Like