The latest news and rumors from the NBA off-season on Emeka Okafor’s comeback and next year’s regular-season schedule.
By Tom Downey, Chat Sports
The NBA is in a quiet point in its off-season, as the free agent chaos has quieted and the pre-season is still months away. However, there are still a few rumblings around the league, including the potential signing of a former No. 2 pick and the continuation of the Olympics.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• Emeka Okafor hasn’t played in the NBA since the 2012–13 season for the Washington Wizards. However, his agent told ESPN’s Jackie MacMullan that Okafor wants to join a contending team in December or January.
• Among the teams that could have interest in Okafor are the Golden State Warriors. General manager Bob Myers told MacMullan the Warriors have spoken to Okafor and will monitor him. MacMullan reports the Cleveland Cavaliers, Miami Heat and Warriors had interest in Okafor last year, before he elected to delay his return to the NBA to fully recover from a back injury.
• The Cavs and Warriors will have their NBA Finals rematch on Christmas Day again this year, according to ESPN. Kevin Durant’s return to Oklahoma City is tentatively set for Feb. 11.
• The roller coaster off-season for Tony Wroten might finally be over. The Memphis Grizzlies announced they signed Wroten after cutting him in mid-July. The Grizzlies originally claimed him off waivers from the New York Knicks after they traded for Derrick Rose.
• Phoenix Suns guard Devin Booker doesn’t see himself leaving the Suns anytime soon. The 19-year-old guard told Slam Online that he loves Phoenix and wants to be the type of player who spends his entire career with one team.
• Russell Westbrook is trying to create a better bond with Oklahoma City Thunder head coach Billy Donovan, The Oklahoman reports. For Westbrook, that includes staying in contact with Donovan, even if it’s “just saying hello.”
• Only a few days after the Indiana Pacers waived him, big man Shayne Whittington has found a new home. He announced on his Instagram that he’s heading overseas to play for Spanish club Obradoiro CAB.