Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning said he'd like to make a decision in the near future on whether he will return to the team next season, according to The Denver Post.
Manning reportedly will not decide on a potential return until he undergoes a physical examination in early March. He said that any hesitation about coming back is not connected to new coach Gary Kubiak's offense.
The 38-year-old also said that Kubiak, team president Joe Ellis and general manager John Elway have instructed him to "take some time."
From the Post:
"I'm not interested in making this a lingering thing," Manning said Friday after he received the Bart Starr Award. "I'd like to make a decision soon. At the same time, both coach and Joe and John have instructed me to take some time, so I'm kind of following their orders." [...]
"I don't see that physical being that significant to tell you the truth as far as that revelation," Manning said. "I feel pretty confident that I would pass that physical and my neck is in good shape."
Manning, who will turn 39 in March, just completed his 17th season in the NFL and his third with the Broncos. He has two seasons remaining on the $96 million deal he signed with Denver in 2012.
The Broncos went 12-4 this season, finishing first in the AFC West before falling to the Indianapolis Colts in the divisional round of the playoffs. Denver recently hired Kubiak to replace John Fox, with whom the team agreed to mutually part ways earlier this month.