Joe Amon/The Denver Post via Getty Images
February 16, 2015

Denver Broncos receiver Wes Welker told Mike Klis of The Denver Post that he is "getting ready for 2015," and not considering retirement.

Klis reports Welker told him in a text that he is preparing for the 2015 season, and that reports that surfaced last week saying the receiver was considering retirement, "never ever came out of [his] mouth."

Welker signed a two-year contract with the Broncos in 2013, and will become a free agent on March 10. He spent the previous six NFL seasons with the New England Patriots.

Welker sustained a concussion in a 2014 preseason game against the Houston Texans after he was hit in the helmet by safety D.J. Swearinger. Welker also sustained two concussions in late 2013 as well, one in Week 11 and the other in Week 14. 

Last month, Welker said he didn't know if he wanted to return to Denver for the 2015 season and that there's "a lot of things [he needed] to figure out." 

Welker, 33, played in 14 games last season, starting eight and missing two due to a suspension. He had a career-low 49 catches for 464 yards and two touchdowns.

Welker was named to five straight Pro Bowls from 2008 to 2012. In 2013, his first year with the Broncos, Welker had 73 receptions for 778 yards and 10 touchdowns. 

- Sarah Barshop

You May Like