The company behind a canceled fantasy football convention that had been scheduled to take place in Las Vegas earlier this month is suing the NFL after the league allegedly played a role in its cancelation.
The company behind a canceled fantasy football convention that had been scheduled to take place in Las Vegas earlier this month is suing the NFL after the league allegedly played a role in its cancelation, according to an ESPN.com report.
The lawsuit, filed in Dallas by Fan Expo LLC, accuses the league of illegally interfering with the National Fantasy Football Convention, which was slated to take place from July 10–12 and feature Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, as well as several other players.
The suit alleges NFL officials called people close to the players, such as spouses and agents, and threatened to fine the players if they attended the convention.
The NFL purportedly put a stop to the convention due to concerns over its taking place near the site of a casino.
“Players and NFL personnel may not participate in promotional activities or other appearances at or in connection with events that are held at or sponsored by casinos,” a league spokesman told Fox Sports in June.
The convention was to take place at The Venetian resort’s ballroom space, which is separate from, but near, its sportsbook property. The owner of The Venetian—Las Vegas Sands Corp.—operates several casinos.
The suit also claims that the league told NFL Network fantasy football analyst Michael Fabiano that he risked losing his job if he remained the convention's host, according to the ESPN report.
Fan Expo claims it had to refund money to everyone involved in the event. Romo told ESPN that the NFL never contacted him about not appearing at the event.
On Tuesday, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told ESPN he was unaware of any lawsuit filed against it by Fan Expo.