A complete roundup of the latest rumors and news surrounding NFL preseason, training camps, injuries and more.
As the final week of the NFL preseason approaches, rosters are beginning to tighten. Teams must reduce their active list to a maximum of 75 players by 4 p.m. ET Tuesday, and get down to 53 players by Friday at 4 p.m. The deadlines will invite an increased volume of trades and the release of aging veterans.
Some teams with a surplus of players at key positions, such as the Eagles and Packers, have tough decisions ahead. Others, like the Bears and Colts, are attempting to finalize their starting lineups. So, what’s the latest on these teams and their players? Check back often as we update below with the latest scoops on transactions, injury news and rumors.
• Tim Jennings, who was cut by the Bears over the weekend, visited the Buccaneers Tuesday morning but left without a contract, reports Tom Krasniq of 620 WDAE. Jennings played under Tampa Bay head coach Lovie Smith in Chicago from 2010–2012.
• Saints linebacker Anthony Spencer has been placed on injured reserve, ending his tenure with the team, according to Nick Underhill of The New Orleans Advocate. Spencer, an eight-year veteran, was brought in on a one-year deal earlier this offseason. He was battling a “muscle injury”.
• The Ravens placed tight end Dennis Pitta on the PUP list, the team announced. Pitta is coming off of his second major hip surgery, and won’t be eligible to play until Week 7.
• The Seattle Seahawks brought in veteran running back Fred Jackson for a visit, according to a report. Jackson, 34, was cut by the Bills on Monday after eight seasons with the team. The Seahawks are not lacking for options at the position. They re-signed starting tailback Marshawn Lynch to a two-year deal earlier in the offseason, and currently roster running backs Christine Michael, Rod Smith and Thomas Rawls.
• The Eagles are still deliberating over who will be their third-string quarterback. Matt Barkley will start Thursday’s preseason finale against the New York Jets, while Tim Tebow is expected to get “a good chunk of work.”
• The Saints traded return man Jalen Saunders to the Patriots for a conditional draft pick. Saunders, a fourth-round pick by the Jets in 2014, will return to the AFC East to compete against former head coach Rex Ryan, now in Buffalo. He played six games in New York before being cut, signing with two practice squads and ultimately landing in New Orleans.
• The Panthers have cut wide receiver Jarrett Boykin, reports the Black & Blue Review. Carolina acquired Kevin Norwood from Seattle on Monday for an undisclosed draft choice, making the former Packers wideout expendable.