NFL rumors: Latest news from the playoffs on injuries and more
By Tom Downey, Chat Sports
The NFL wild card round is over. The Kansas City Chiefs shut out the Houston Texans and the Pittsburgh Steelers defeated the Cincinnati Bengals to advance to the AFC divisional round. In the NFC, the Seattle Seahawks topped the Minnesota Vikings and the Green Bay Packers beat the Washington Redskins. This weekend marked the first time in NFL history all four road teams have won in the wild card round.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• The Bills extended the contract of general manager Doug Whaley, the team announced.
• Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson had interviews with the San Francisco 49ers and Cleveland Browns on Sunday. According to Michael Silver of the NFL Network, the meetings went well, but Jackson doesn’t have an offer yet.
• After the Bengals lost to the Steelers in heartbreaking fashion, there was speculation the team could make a change at head coach. However, ESPN reports there are no plans to fire Marvin Lewis.
• The Detroit Lions announced they hired Ernie Accorsi to serve as a special advisor for team president Ron Wood. Accorsi is a longtime NFL executive who was last a general manager with the New York Giants from 1998 to ’07.
• Chiefs wide receiver Jeremy Maclin doesn’t have a torn ACL, but ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that he does have a high ankle sprain and that his status for this weekend’s game against the Patriots is uncertain.