NFL rumors: Latest off-season news on free agency, trades, more
By Brian Rauf, Chat Sports
The first week of the NFL preseason concluded on Sunday night with the Houston Texans beating the San Francisco 49ers, 24–13. Teams are now focused on their Week 2 preseason games this coming weekend, but there is still plenty of off-field buzz around the league, headlined by the Tennessee Titans trading wide receiver Dorial Green-Beckham to the Philadelphia Eagles for offensive lineman Dennis Kelly on Tuesday.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• The NFL has threatened to suspend the players named in the Al-Jazeera America report on PED use if they don't comply with the league's request for interviews, reports ESPN's Jeremy Fowler. Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison, Green Bay Packers linebackers Clay Matthews and Julius Peppers, and free-agent linebacker Mike Neal have until Aug. 25 to be interviewed by the league.
• Packers wide receiver Jeff Janis will miss four to six weeks after having surgery on his broken right hand, according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.
• New Orleans Saints rookie defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins suffered a fractured fibula and is expected to miss six weeks, reports ESPN's Adam Schefter.
• Cincinnati Bengals rookie defensive tackle Andrew Billings is out indefinitely after having surgery to repair a torn meniscus, reports Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network.
• Minnesota Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer will talk to running back Adrian Peterson about potentially playing in the pre-season for the first time since 2011, reports Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press.
• Dallas Cowboys tight end James Hanna will undergo knee surgery that may cause him to miss their season opener against the New York Giants, reports ESPN's Todd Archer.
• San Francisco 49ers quarterback Thad Lewis suffered a torn ACL in practice on Monday, reports Schefter.