NFL rumors: Latest off-season news on free agency, trades, more
By Brian Rauf, Chat Sports
The NFL preseason came to a conclusion Thursday night with 15 games, and now teams are focused on cutting their rosters down to 53 players ahead of Saturday's 4 p.m. ET deadline. The regular season kicks off Thursday, when the Denver Broncos host the Carolina Panthers in a Super Bowl rematch.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• San Francisco 49ers safety Eric Reid joined teammate Colin Kaepernick's protest by kneeling during the national anthem, reports Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com.
• Seattle Seahawks cornerback Jeremy Lane also sat during the national anthem before his team's game against the Oakland Raiders, reports ESPN's Sheil Kapadia.
• Los Angeles Rams head coach Jeff Fisher said No. 1 pick Jared Goff will go into the season as the No. 3 quarterback on the depth chart, reports Rich Hammond of the Los Angeles Daily News.
• Dallas Cowboys vice president Stephen Jones said the team is still looking at all options for adding a backup quarterback behind Dak Prescott in the wake of Tony Romo's injury, reports Brandon George of the Dallas Morning News.
• New York Jets quarterback Bryce Petty suffered a shoulder injury in the Jets' loss to the Philadelphia Eagles, reports ESPN's Rich Cimini. He will have an MRI on Friday to determine the extent of the injury.
• Center Max Unger signed a three-year, $21 million extension with the New Orleans Saints, reports Herbie Teope of the New Orleans Times-Picayune.
• Washington Redskins guard Kory Lichtensteiger has taken a paycut from $3.5 million to $2.25 million this season, reports ESPN's Field Yates. Lichtensteiger can make up the difference in incentives.