NFL rumors: Latest off-season news on free agency, trades, more
By Brian Rauf, Chat Sports
NFL teams finalized their rosters this weekend, cutting them down to 53 players. The regular season kicks off Thursday night, as the Denver Broncos will host the Carolina Panthers.
With the start of the season comes an increase in buzz around the league. Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo is expected to stay on the active roster instead of being placed on injured reserve, reports Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio. Romo is out six to 10 weeks with a broken bone in his back.
• Minnesota Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater will have knee surgery on Thursday, reports ESPN's Ed Werder. Bridgewater is out for the season with a torn ACL and dislocated knee.
• The New Orleans Saints and quarterback Drew Brees have resumed talks about a possible extension, reports Werder.
• Tight end Bruce Miller was released by the San Francisco 49ers after he was arrested on suspicion of assaulting a 70-year-old man and his 29-year-old son, reports ESPN's Nick Wagoner.
• The Baltimore Ravens announced they have re-signed running back Justin Forsett after releasing him on Saturday.
• Free-agent wide receiver Cecil Shorts III is visiting the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the next 24 hours, according to ESPN's Adam Caplan. Shorts was released by the Houston Texans this weekend.
• Seattle Seahawks cornerback Jeremy Lane told the Seattle Times that he plans to continue to sit during the national anthem, joining San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick's protest of racial inequalities in the United States.