Bears Take Closer Look at Jalen Carter

In this story:
The most controversial figure in the 2023 NFL Draft had his top-30 visit with the Bears Monday at Halas Hall.
That's Georgia defensive lineman Jalen Carter, who filed a no-contest plea to misdemeanor racing and reckless driving charges resulting from a fatal crash involving a Georgia teammate and staff member.
Carter is represented by famed agent Drew Rosenhaus. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Carter is making a rather bold move for someone who had these charges, and then went through a poor pro day workout.
According to Schefter, Rosenhaus said his client is declining visit requests from any team drafting from outside the top 10 picks.
"I'm confident Jalen will go in the top 10," Schefter quoted Rosenhaus as saying. "He's a good person, a family man, loves football and is a generational talent."
The Bears still would be in need of defensive line help after signing two defensive linemen in free agency, nose tackle Andrew Billings and end/tackle DeMarcus Walker.
Georgia DT Jalen Carter is visiting the Bears today. It is his second visit, with him already having visited the Eagles. Carter’s agent Drew Rosenhaus said he is declining visit requests for any team drafting outside the top 10 picks. “I’m confident Jalen will go in the top 10,”…
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) April 3, 2023
There is little doubt on the part of scouts and talent analysts about Rosenhaus comment calling Carter a "generational talent." Carter has widely been called the best talent in the draft.
However there is more going on as he's pleaded no contest to the two misdemeanor charges and then had such a poor pro day workout. He had shown up for the pro day 9 pounds heavier than he had been two weeks earlier at the combine, then failed to complete the workout. Those in attendance suggested he was out of shape.
Carter was given 12 months probation, a $1,000 fine, 80 hours of community service and has to complete a state-approved defensive driving course.
The crash occurred in mid-January but police did not issue the warrant until Carter was at the combine March 1. He left the combine, turned himself in and then flew back to Indianapolis. Carter did not work out at the combine because he planned to do the workouts at the pro day, but those efforts left NFL personnel people disappointed.
WHY TACKLE IS THE SAFE BEARS BET IN FIRST ROUND OF DRAFT
Carter visited with the Eagles, who pick one spot behind the Bears at No. 10. Philadelphia needs line help after defensive tackle Javon Hargrave left in free agency.
It might seem a bit presumptuous to assume you'll go top 10 after the kind of 2023 Carter has had, but it would seem unlikely several teams in the top 10 would let him get even as far as to the Bears at No. 9.
The Arizona Cardinals still need defensive line help, but could fix some of that with edge rusher Will Anderson Jr.
Seattle has been trying to restore its defensive front and seem like a good fit at No. 5.
Then there is what has to be a frightening thought for the Bears of seeing Carter go to the Lions at No. 6.
Detroit had obvious defensive issues, especially in the secondary. But the Lions signed C.J. Gardner-Johnson, Cameron Sutton and Emmanuel Moseley in free agency. They still could use secondary and linebacker help but putting Carter in a pass rush on the defensive line with Aidan Hutchinson and James Houston could make any problems they might have elsewhere on defense seem less pressing.
Mel Kiper had Carter going to the Lions in his most recent mock draft.
ESPN draft analyst Matt Miller held a conference call with media members recently and in it he even mentioned the Lions prominently regarding this topic. "We talked about Jalen Carter earlier, where does he fit?" Miller said. "I think Detroit is the best fit for Carter, outside of Philly. This is a great fit because you have Dan Campbell. He's going to make sure that you’re working."
When it comes working hard, there would be no greater certainty of that for Carter than being in Matt Eberflus' HITS principle with the Bears. Players are closely scrutinized and loafing not tolerated. However, there's no hand-holding going on as players need to be self-responsible.
Las Vegas seems like a potential spot where Carter could because of the Raiders' defensive tackle issues, and coach Josh McDaniels denied a story saying Carter had been removed from their draft board.
Atlanta would be ideal because Carter is already in Georgia.
Schefter reported Carter was invited to the draft in Kansas City and plans to attend.
Twitter: BearDigest@BearsOnMaven

Gene Chamberlain has covered the Chicago Bears full time as a beat writer since 1994 and prior to this on a part-time basis for 10 years. He covered the Bears as a beat writer for Suburban Chicago Newspapers, the Daily Southtown, Copley News Service and has been a contributor for the Daily Herald, the Associated Press, Bear Report, CBS Sports.com and The Sporting News. He also has worked a prep sports writer for Tribune Newspapers and Sun-Times newspapers.