The Giants are bracing for the possibility that defensive lineman Leonard Williams may have to miss time after suffering an elbow injury in the Giants' 37-21 loss to the Los Angeles Chargers Sunday.
Williams was injured in the second quarter and went back to the locker room for further evaluation. He emerged in the second half with a brace on his right arm, but after initially being characterized as questionable to return, the Giants ruled Williams out.
The NFL Network is now reporting that Williams' injury is "feared to be significant" and that he could miss some time.
It's unclear when specifically Williams, who is in the first year of a three-year, $63 million contract, was injured, but his loss would be a significant blow to the Giants defense.
Although Williams hasn't come close to replicating his 11.5-sack performance from last season, he still leads the Giants in total quarterback pressures (40) and is second in sacks (5.5), behind rookie Azeez Ojulari (7.5).
Giants Receiver Wandale Robinson Reveals His Biggest Competitive Advantage
Giants second round pick Wan'Dale Robinson might not be the biggest guy out there, but here's why his background allows him to play big.
New York Giants Mailbag: Depth Concerns in the Secondary
Let's check in with the readers to see what's on their minds.
Head coach Joe Judge didn't have an update on Williams when he spoke to the media earlier on Monday before the team boarded a flight home from Los Angeles.
It was revealed that Williams's test images were sent back with Vice President of Medical Services Ronnie Barnes, who left Los Angeles last night with quarterback Daniel Jones so that the tam's doctors could take a look at Williams's elbow.
With four games remaining in the year, it will be interesting to see if the Giants decide to shut down Williams if his injury is indeed as significant as reported.
More from Giants Country
- Giants Fall to Chargers, 37-21: Instant Reaction
- New York Giants Embarrassed By Chargers 37-21
- Joe Judge Insists Giants are Building a Foundation
- Giants QB Daniel Jones to Have Neck Re-examined
- New York Giants Week 14 Report Card: Not Nearly Good Enough
Join the Giants Country Community
- Sign up for our FREE digest newsletter
- Follow and like us on Facebook
- Submit your questions for our mailbag
- Listen and subscribe to the daily LockedOn Giants podcast.
- Subscribe and like the new LockedOn Giants YouTube Channel
- Sign up for our FREE message board forums
- Subscribe and like our YouTube Channel