New York Giants offensive line coach Bobby Johnson, who found himself involved in the melee between players Monday after tempers flared during practice, said he takes full responsibility for getting involved and shoving inside linebacker Cam Brown as part of the fallout.
Johnson, who, along with the assistant coaches, was scheduled to speak with the media Tuesday, also said he’s apologized to “the appropriate people" and "in particular, Cam.”
“I take full responsibility. I’m remorseful,” Johnson said, taking the initiative by addressing the incident before reporters could question him about it. “It can’t happen; it won’t happen again.”
Johnson, who called it a “regrettable incident,” said he knows he has to be better and that the behavior is not what the team is looking for. He also revealed that he spoke with head coach Brian Daboll, who made it "crystal clear" what the expectations were moving forward.
Giants Place Cornerback Aaron Robinson on Injured Reserve
Robinson suffered a knee injury in Sunday's win over the Chicago Bears.
Giants Have an Unlikely Group of Saviors Keeping the Offense Afloat
How good have the Giants tight ends been in the offense so far? Better than anyone might have anticipated, given the group's initial lack of experience.
Giants on the Rise Again in Latest MMQB NFL Power Rankings
The New York Giants are moving up the charts, hitting their highest power ranking placement in the last three years.
Daboll, who speaks to the media before practice each day, didn't address reporters after Monday's practice, in which the melee saw center Jon Feliciano, Brown, and others lose their cool, leading to a bench-clearing ruckus.
In comments made before Turssda's practice, Daboll revealed that he spoke to the team and, in particular, those involved.
"That’s not what we’re looking to do," he said. "We’re going to pride ourselves on being smart, tough, dependable. I’ve been around long enough to see certain things like that — on the third or fourth day in pads — happen. It’s addressed. We’re not going to do that.”
More from Giants Country
- Could Dallas Cowboys Be Eyeing New York Giants' Receiver Pipeline?
- Yusuf Corker Exudes Confidence in Quest for Giants' Roster Spot
- Daniel Jones Drops Eight Spots in The Athletic's Annual Quarterback Rankings
- How New York Giants Head Coach Brian Daboll Handled Team's Training Camp Skirmish
- Takeaways from New York Giants' First Unofficial Depth Chart of Summer
- Mike Kafka Set to Make Play-calling Debut for Giants
Join the Giants Country Community
- Sign up for our FREE digest newsletter
- Follow and like us on Facebook
- Submit your questions for our mailbag
- Check out the new Giants Country YouTube Channel.
- Listen and subscribe to the daily LockedOn Giants podcast.
- Subscribe and like the LockedOn Giants YouTube Channel
- Sign up for our FREE message board forums