Premier League head: Luis Suarez 'an accident waiting to happen'
Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore said Wednesday he's not sorry to see star Luis Suarez leave for La Liga.
Liverpool sold Suarez to Barcelona this offseason for £75 million after the striker's latest biting controversy. He received a four-month ban from FIFA after biting Italy's Giorgio Chiellini while playing for Uruguay in the World Cup in June.
Suarez also received suspensions for biting a player while playing for Liverpool in 2013 and while playing for Ajax in 2010.
Scudamore's comments, from The Guardian:
“I think probably the time had come,” said Scudamore. “He’s a great player and I’m not taking anything away from his talents: he was voted by both his own players and the media last year the player of the year and deservedly so.
“He’s great to have but an accident waiting to happen, and if you spend your time trying to promote what’s good about the Premier League, you’re always waiting for the next thing to come along.
“And this one in the summer, although it was with Uruguay, although it didn’t directly involve the Premier League, clearly it reflected on Liverpool as one of our great clubs. And it reflected on us."
Suarez has appealed his four-month suspension, and will learn the verdict of that appeal Thursday.
Liverpool opens its Premier League season Sunday against Southampton. Barcelona begins La Liga play Aug. 24 against Elche.
- Ben Estes