Cristiano Ronaldo denies reports of rift with Real Madrid
Cristiano Ronaldo denied reports on Saturday stating he is unhappy with Real Madrid and seeking a move from the team.
Ronaldo, who had been mostly silent to reporters for months, told Portuguese newspaper A Bola that he was “very happy” with Real Madrid.
“I would sincerely like the false reports to stop and to be left a little in peace,” Ronaldo told the newspaper, as translated by ESPN FC.
“Reporters that I have sought to create conflicts between myself and Real Madrid are absolutely false. I am very happy at the best club in the world and very focused and confident of a new season full of successes.”
Ronaldo, the FIFA Ballon d’Or winner of the past two years, scored 61 goals in 54 matches with Real Madrid this year. However, the club did not win any major trophies and Ronaldo told reporters he would not speak to media until after the season following a March Champions League loss to Schalke.
Last month, Real Madrid fired manager Carlo Ancelotti after he signed a three-year deal with the club in June 2013. A few days prior, Ronaldo had tweeted a photo of himself with Ancelotti, saying, “Great coach and amazing person. Hope we work together next season.”
- Mike Fiammetta