CONMEBOL president says Copa America Centenario will go on in USA

ASUNCION, Paraguay (AP) — The head of South American soccer governing body CONMEBOL tells The Associated Press he backs playing the Copa America's 100th anniversary tournament next year in the United States.

Juan Angel Napout says CONMEBOL officials will meet Thursday in Mexico with officials of CONCACAF, soccer's ruling body for North and Central America and the Caribbean.

Despite reports the Copa Centenario might be held elsewhere, Napout says the "only topic of the meeting is playing ... in the United States."

The special tournament featuring 10 South American teams and six from CONMEBOL had originally been planned for the United States.

The event has been in doubt since the FIFA scandal earlier this year when the U.S. Department of Justice issued indictments for several top soccer officials from CONCACAF and CONMEBOL, and executives for a sports marketing company planning the 100th anniversary tournament.

Neither CONCACAF nor the U.S. Soccer Federation has commented on the status of hosting the tournament in an official capacity.

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide—from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Andy Staples, Grant Wahl, and more—delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.