PARIS (AP) The German Grand Prix was cut from the 2015 Formula One calendar Friday after neither of the country's two circuits was able to make a deal with series promoter Bernie Ecclestone.
The World Motor Sport Council said in a statement on Friday that the race was withdrawn because the commercial rights holder ''and promoter did not reach agreement.''
The German Grand Prix, one of the most historic in the calendar that was first held in 1926, had been set for July 19. The last time the German Grand Prix was scratched from the calendar was in 1955.
With the two circuits alternating annually, Nuerburgring was scheduled to stage the race, but because it has financial problems, Hockenheim had been considered a replacement. The failure to reach a deal means there will now be 19 races this season instead of 20, with a three-week interval between the British Grand Prix on July 5 and the Hungarian race on July 26.
The German race has been losing spectators steadily since the days of seven-time champion Michael Schumacher, even though Germany is home to Mercedes, the car maker behind the top team last season, and driver Nico Rosberg. Four-time champion Sebastian Vettel, who now drives for Ferrari, is also German.
Nuerburgring circuit spokesman Pietro Nuvolini said earlier that there was still no agreement with Ecclestone while Hockenheim officials announced that the facility would be unable to organize the race within the time remaining.
Nuerburgring officials had been asking Ecclestone to take a cut in his fee for staging the race. The fee is reportedly $15 million.
Mercedes had offered a ''significant'' amount to Hockenheim to help in saving the race but the offer was not taken, according to the German constructor.