F1's Lewis Hamilton: accident in Monaco ‘nobody’s business’
SAO PAULO (AP) After what he termed a ''minor road accident'' in Monaco at the beginning of the week, three-time Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton said Thursday he's ''a lot closer to 100 percent'' and is ready for Sunday's Brazilian Grand Prix.
Hamilton arrived a day late for the Brazil race. He declined to give details about the accident in Monaco, telling reporters ''I made very light contact with a stationary vehicle.''
He said no one was injured in the incident.
The Englishman first explained the issue on Instagram before flying to Brazil.
''I've not been well with a fever but I also had a road accident in Monaco on Monday night. Whilst ultimately, it is nobody's business, there are people knowing my position that will try to take advantage of the situation and make a quick buck.''
Before Hamilton's news conference in Sao Paulo, a spokesman said he wouldn't take questions about the incident.
Hamilton won his third Formula One title last month at the United States Grand Prix.
He has yet to win in Brazil, and he compared himself to boyhood idol and Brazilian hero Ayrton Senna - who only won on home soil at the eighth attempt. Hamilton finished second last year to teammate Nico Rosberg, but is hoping for better luck on Sunday.
''This is my ninth year here,'' he said. ''Who knows?''