Carlos Lee trade talks between Dodgers, Astros officially off the table

Monday July 2nd, 2012

The Houston Astros' proposed trade of first baseman Carlos Lee to the Los Angeles Dodgers is now off the table, according to multiple reports.

Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal reported, via Twitter, that the Dodgers had been the first to flinch and remove themselves from the trade discussions. This stemmed from Lee's initial hesitance to accept the trade, which ended Saturday with Lee telling reporters he would make a decision Sunday.

ESPN.com's Buster Olney confirmed that the talks were dead, adding that Lee later vetoed the proposed deal. As Rosenthal reported, the Astros could still work out a trade with one of the 15 teams to which Lee cannot veto a deal.

The trade talks between the Dodgers and Astros first surfaced on Friday night, and Lee told MLB.com Saturday morning that he wanted to "wait and see what my options are." After the Astros lost to the Chicago Cubs on Saturday, he told the Houston Chronicle’s Zachary Levine that he wanted to make a decision by Sunday.

The Dodgers need a bat in their lineup that can help spark an offense that has been shut out six times in its past 13 games. Los Angeles is currently playing without the injured Andre Ethier, Matt Kemp and Mark Ellis.

In 62 games this season, the 36-year-old Lee is batting .285 with five home runs and 29 RBI. He has a .742 OPS. He’s in the final year of a six-year, $100 million contract.

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide—from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Andy Staples, Grant Wahl, and more—delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.