Saturday's action in the Premier League kicked-off with an entertaining encounter as Chelsea came back from behind to beat Watford 4-2 at Stamford Bridge. Elsewhere, David Wagner's Huddersfield pulled off a fantastic 2-1 victory against Manchester United. 

By 90Min
October 21, 2017

Saturday's action in the Premier League kicked-off with a great match as Chelsea came back from behind to beat Watford 4-2 at Stamford Bridge, while Manchester City's domination keeps on growing as Pep Guardiola's men won 3-0 at home to Burnley. Elsewhere, Bournemouth and Leicester City held on to their 2-1 victories against Stoke City and Swansea respectively, while Newcastle won 1-0 at home to Crystal Palace.

The biggest result of the day, however, came from the new boys in town as Huddersfield won 2-1 against Jose Mourinho's Manchester United.

The day ended with a fantastic individual goal as Sofiane Boufal's outstanding goal secured three points for Southampton as the Saints won 1-0 against West Brom.   

Read up on all the action below.

Chelsea came from behind to beat Watford 4-2 in a pulsating Premier League match on Saturday afternoon.

Pedro gave the hosts the lead early in the first half in stunning style - curling home an emphatic 25-yard effort from the edge of the area. Watford then punished the hosts for failing to stamp their authority on the match, as Abdoulaye Doucouré thumped home from close range after a defensive mix-up cause by a long-throw.

Roberto Pereyra gave his side a shock lead early in the second half, converting from close-range as the Blues began to crumble in spectacular fashion. Michy Batshuayi levelled for the hosts midway through the second half with a well taken header, before César Azpilicueta headed home to give his side the lead. In stoppage time, Batshuayi sealed the win with his second goal of the afternoon.


Despite a bright opening from the visitors, it was Chelsea who had the best chance to open the scoring in the seventh minute. Cesc Fàbregas played a smart short corner to Pedro - whose looping cross saw Álvaro Morata unable to generate the necessary power to divert his touch past Watford stopper Heurelho Gomes, who made a solid save down low to his right.

In the 11th minute, Pedro gave Chelsea the lead with a superb long-range effort. The short corner routine came off with aplomb - as Eden Hazard laid the ball off to Pedro at the edge of the box, who unleashed a sensational bending shot which crashed off the post and flew spectacularly beyond the helpless Gomes.

The Blues were almost in again in the 15th minute, as Morata played an incisive ball to his Spanish teammate Fàbregas, who saw his cheeky chipped effort saved at close range by Gomes. Pedro then crashed a 30-yard effort towards the Watford goal in the 23rd minute, but his confident strike streaked comfortably past Gomes' near-post.

Chelsea keeper Thibaut Courtois was then called into action, reacting well to keep out Tom Cleverley's firmly struck free-kick in the 30th minute. Fàbregas then forced an acrobatic stop from Gomes in the 40th minute with a long-range effort.

The visitors began to pressure the Blues as the first-half drew to a close, and capitalised on a defensive mix-up caused by a José Holebas long-throw - Doucouré thumping home from close range to equalise in first-half stoppage time.

Chelsea started the second half with a clear intent to grab the game by the scruff of the neck, rampaging forward at every given opportunity. Pedro whistled an ambitious long-range drive wide of Gomes' far-post in the 47th minute. Richarlison then unreliably missed an open goal from five yards out, somehow slicing wide in-front of the Blues' gaping goal. 

Richarlison soon made amends for his miss, as he tore apart Chelsea's defence to play a pinpoint pass to Pereyra, who was left unmarked to clip a sweetly struck shot over Courtois in the 50th minute. The hosts were rattled, with Watford running rampant in-front of the horrified home fans.

It was almost 3-1 in the 53rd minute, as Richarlison again missed a golden opportunity after seeing his close-range effort go agonisingly wide of Courtois' far-post. The Blues defence was in tatters, with Watford running rings around the Premier League champions.

After an abject twenty minute period, the Blues scored a crucial equaliser. In the 70th minute, Pedro whipped a pinpoint cross into the penalty box, which substitute Batshuayi nodded into the far corner of the net with a clinical header. Moments later, Watford almost regained the lead, but Christian Kabasele failed to convert a free header to punish Conte's side.

The tenacious Belgian came close to scoring his second goal the afternoon in the 79th minute, after bending a long shot wide of Gomes' far-post in the 79th minute, with the Brazilian stopper well-beaten. Moments later, the striker was in again, and flashed a shot over the bar from close-range following a clever set-piece from the home side.

Azpilicueta then saved the day for Chelsea, scoring in the 87th minute of the match. Substitute Willian surged down the right wing, before whipping a delightful cross into the box, which was nodded home by Azpilicueta to the relief of the Chelsea fans. 

Batshuayi sealed the three points deep into stoppage time, taking Tiémoué Bakayoko's pass in his stride before holding Miguel Britos off to slot home his second goal of the game. The Blues looked far from convincing in their win, but their resilience in sealing the three points was certainly impressive.

Saturday afternoon saw Huddersfield Town take on Manchester United at the John Smith's Stadium as the Red Devils come in impeccable form, with no defeats so far in the Premier League. 

The opening 10 minutes saw early bookings from both sides as Anthony Martial played rough on the ball.

Man Utd looked to dominated in the early minutes of the first half as the ball was pushed forward by the likes of Antonio Valencia and Ashley Young. 

Gareth Copley/GettyImages

However, the Red Devils failed to convert their chances, giving Huddersfield the advantage in the counter attack.

United faced a major blow in the first half as first choice defender Phil Jones suffered a leg injury, forcing a substitution that brought on Victor Lindelof. 

Huddersfield managed to make a breakthrough in the 28th minute as Aaron Mooy smashed in a rebound, sending the home crowd roaring in the stands. 

With the Red Devils vulnerable, the Terriers continued to push hard as the chants got louder in the stands.

No less than five minutes after the first goal, Lindelof made a mistake in the away half as Laurent Depoitre got on the ball.

He passed two players before slotting the ball behind David De Gea for the hosts to lead 2-0 in the 34th minute.

The remainder of the half showed Utd's frustration as a penalty appeal was denied shortly after the second goal when Ander Herrera went down in Huddersfield's box. 

The visitors did press till the end of the first 45 but failed to convert attempts from Nemanja Matic and Romelu Lukaku. Jose Mourinho looked to switch things up in the second half with the addition of Marcus Rashford and Henrikh Mkhitaryan

The duo's introduction to the game brought life to the away side play as continuous pressing led to dangerous attacks.


Multiple chances were being created by the pace Mkhitaryan and Rashford possessed as they encouraged Lukaku to lead the attack. 

The Red Devils finally got their break in the 78th minute as Lukaku crossed in a deep ball into the Huddersfield box, which landed straight onto Rashford's head.

The last 10 minutes saw United push to the fullest as Young, Rashford and Lukaku desperately looked for an equaliser to save the visitors' unbeaten streak this season.

The intensity in the stands grew as home fans continued chanting, trying to motivate the Huddersfield players to counter attack like in the first half. 

Gareth Copley/GettyImages

Into stoppage time and Huddersfield attempted to push as they kept the ball in the away half.

However, home fans grew nervous in the closing seconds as Valencia crossed a ball into Smalling but Mathias Jorgensen made the save that would give United their first loss of the season. 

Manchester City equaled their club record of eleven consecutive victories after breezing past Burnley at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday.

City dominated possession in the first half, with David Silva and Kevin De Bruyne imposing their supreme creative ability on the Burnley defence. But for all the Sky Blue's commanding football, they lacked the finishing touch that we have seen so often this season.

Shaun Botterill/GettyImages

However, after failing to work Nick Pope in the Burnley goal, David Silva's incredible cross-field pass sliced through the Burnley midfield, and after a loose touch from De Bruyne, summer signing Bernardo Silva went down under a challenge from the keeper. Whether there was actually contact on the Portuguese midfielder is questionable, with the Burnley team outraged after surrounding the referee after the decision to grant the home side a penalty was given.

Despite the protests from the away side, Sergio Aguero calmly slotted his penalty to equal Eric Brook's all-time goalscoring record for City with 177 goals. 

As the half came to a close, the Argentine could've doubled his tally had it not been for a superb save from the left boot of Nick Pope. Bernardo Silva's follow up was then blocked by the face of Tarkowski.

Burnley's best chance of the half fell to Scott Arfield when the away side quickly countered following a City corner, but his attempt on goal was blocked by John Stones.

Alex Livesey/GettyImages

Much of the opening 25 minutes of the second half was similar to the first, with David Silva's sliced attempt from 25 yards after ten minutes the only clear cut chance. A seemingly never-ending spell of pressure saw Burnley's resilience tested to the limit, with De Bruyne and David Silva fizzing in cross after cross until the home side finally doubled the lead in the 73rd minute.

Leroy Sane's fine delivery from the corner flag was met by a towering leap from Nicolas Otamendi, who beat Ben Mee to the ball to power his header into the back the net for 2-0.

OLI SCARFF/GettyImages

Two minutes later, Kevin De Bruyne whipped the ball through to Leroy Sane in typical fashion, for the young German to then rifle his shot into the far corner to make it 3-0. It was Sane's 7th goal in 10 games this season.

Despite Burnley's resilient display, the attacking dynamism of Manchester City was too much for way side. The Sky Blues will remain at the peak of the Premier League, and are yet to be beaten this season.

A Junior Stanislas-inspired performance compounded the misery on Mark Hughes and his Stoke City side, as Bournemouth made easy work of the hosts at the Britannia Stadium, keeping the Potters close to the relegation zone.

Stanislas put the first goal on a plate for Andrew Surman to expertly curl in the first, before adding a penalty of his own in a one-sided first half. Mame Biram Diouf responded for Stoke with a striker's finish

In difficult conditions on a very windy Saturday afternoon at Stoke, both sides struggled to string together passes in the first half, as neither side could hang on to the ball, with the chances few and far between.

After witnessing a shocking 7-2 thumping by Premier League leaders Manchester City, it was understandable that the visitors would have the better chances at the beginning of the match amidst a restless home crowd.

Tony Marshall/GettyImages

Passing and probing with a far greater purpose to keep the ball on the floor, the Stoke defence was breached as the first real chance brought the opening goal. The busy Stanislas was the provider, teeing up former Southampton midfielder Surman, who fired in an excellent low drive, leaving goalkeeper Jack Butland with no chance.

It was just like waiting for a London bus as two came along at the same time, with the Cherries extended their lead within minutes, when Stoke City captain Shawcross brought down target man Benik Afobe with a clumsy challenge, resulting in a penalty.

The provider then became the finisher, as Stanislas again showed his confidence by stepping up to dispatch the penalty confidently down the middle, leaving Bournemouth in cruise control.

The hosts finally woke up in the final fifteen minutes of the first half, as hard-working striker Diouf fired the first opportunity at goal, working ex-Stoke goalkeeper Asmir Begovic after a great through ball from Jese.

Alex Morton/GettyImages

Stanislas again had a chance to fnish the game beyond doubt after being played through on goal, however poor decision kept the scoreline respectable as the midfielder chose to work the Stoke back four with a left-footed shot, despite Afobe being open.

On the stroke of half time, Shawcross had the chance of the half to ease the deficit and make amends for his earlier mistake, narrowly dragging a volley wide from a Darren Fletcher free-kick with the goal gaping.

With Hughes no doubt giving his side a rollicking, the Potters started off much brighter at the beginning of the second half. Diouf fluffed his lines as the wasteful striker missed from eight yards out, before Joe Allen missed a sitter, after being played in by a Glen Johnson cutback.

Further claims of a penalty by the home crowd were dismissed by referee Lee Probert as Shawcross goes down under a challenge by Afobe in a role reversal, which was waved away despite the Stoke players' protests.

Alex Morton/GettyImages

The home side finally had something to cheer about with a double whammy, as Peter Crouch, the perfect player for uncompromising windy conditions was introduced. Making an instant impact by boosting the morale of the crowd, Stoke kickstarted an attempted comeback when Diouf, the busiest player for the Potters in a poor first half, bundled in a Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting flick on off his thigh.

To infuriate the crowd further, Probert again shunned calls from the bench and the vociferous fans to award a penalty for Stoke after a blatant foul is waived away. Crumbling under a heavy challenge from Adam Smith, Jese hit the ground when the man was clearly taken before the ball, much to the fury of Hughes.

Both teams slowed down the final ten minutes of play by introducing substitutes, with Stoke desperately seeking an equaliser, introducing Saido Berahino. Bournemouth were wise to the task however, taking the sting out of each playing by running the clock down.

Choupo-Moting came close in the final stages of the game, as Diouf whipped in an excellent through ball, with a weak effort tamely being caught by Begovic, leaving the Potters fans disappointed after a lacklustre display.



Michael Appleton steadied the ship at Leicester as his side came away with a deserved 2-1 win at the Liberty Stadium against Swansea to pile the pressure on Swansea manager Paul Clement.

It was Leicester who, under caretaker manager Michael Appleton, had the better of the early play at a wet and windy Liberty Stadium.

Shinji Okazaki was denied a goal inside the first minute as he saw his glancing header from a Marc Albrighton cross pushed away from an alert Lukasz Fabianski.

Okazaki then turned provider for Albrighton, cutting the ball back to the edge of the area who unleashed a well-stuck shot that Fabianski was equal to and acrobatically push the ball over the bar. 


Fabianski had to be alert again to deal with decent 25-yard effort from Jamie Vardy following a long pass forward, before blocking at the feet of Wilfred Ndidi to keep Swansea in the game, as Leicester had the better of the early proceedings, 

A tame flick from Tammy Abraham was all Swansea mustered on goal before Leicester got their deserved breakthrough. 

Riyad Marhez did well to keep the ball in play, before whipping a delicious cross towards goal. Federico Fernandez could only head the ball past a helpless Fabianski and give Appleton and Leicester the lead their play warranted. 

Paul Clement's Swansea looked laboured and off-the-pace, with a wayward 25-yard strike from Bayern Munich loanee Renato Sanches summing up Swansea's first half display. 

Leicester looked lively every time they attacked, suffering no hangover following the departure of Craig Shakespeare. Mahrez especially looking back to his best, while Vardy, a willing runner in the channels to stretch the game, was linking up well with the impressive Okazaki. 

Michael Steele/GettyImages

Half-time came as Leicester looked well worth their goal advantage with very little coming in the way of an attacking threat from Swansea. 

The second half couldn't have started much worse for Paul Clement and Swansea as Leicester made it two within five minutes of the restart.

Leicester countered in typical fashion from a Swansea set-piece as Albrighton drove towards the Swans goal. He dinked a pass through to Mahrez, who squared to Okazaki to tap in from close range. 

There was a suspicsion of offside but Okazaki was correctly adjudged to be level with Mahrez when he played the ball across, to the delight of the Leicester fans.

Swansea needed a quick response to get back back in the game, with Alfie Mawson duly obliging. 

Jordan Ayew flicked on a Luciano Narsingh corner which found Mawson, who did brilliantly to swivel and turn before hooking the ball past Kasper Schmeichel to give Swansea a route back in the game and half the deficit.

The Swansea crowd were lifted by the goal as their team looked for a quick second, although Leicester did well to quash a Swansea equaliser by taking the sting out the game, bringing on Andy King for Okazaki to bolster their midfield. 

Leicester could've made it three had Fabianski not been in inspired form, blocking Vardy's shot in a one-on-one to keep Swansea in the game. 

Swansea plugged away for the leveller as Ayew and substitute Wayne Routledge had efforts on goal, but didn't trouble Schmeichel in goal. 

Stu Forster/GettyImages

With that, Michael Oliver blew for full-time to give Michael Appleton his first win in temporary charge of Leicester, while Swansea suffer their fourth defeat in five Premier League home games as the Swans couldn't break down a stout and resolute Leicester.

A scrappy and lacklustre affair at St James' Park went the way of Newcastle as a late headed goal from substitute Mikel Merino ensured the three points remained on Tyneside. 

Merino's first goal for Newcastle was a moment of ecstasy for the home supporters in a game largely devoid of any potency in attack, as Roy Hodgson's side were left devastated as they  remain in search of their first goal and points away from home in the league this season.

Nigel Roddis/GettyImages

Newcastle shared in the majority of possession in the open stages, although both sides struggled to settle early on. The game's early entertainment centred around the return of three pantomime villains for the St James' Park faithful as Andros Townsend, Patrick van Aanholt and Yohan Cabaye all took to the field for the Eagles - with a chorus of boos accompanying their every touch.

Clear-cut chances were few and far between in the opening 30 minutes, as possession was traded in the middle third with little goal-mouth action for either keeper to contend with, although the Magpies' Matt Richie and the Eagles' Wilfried Zaha were the two players who looked the most likely for their respective sides.

Nigel Roddis/GettyImages

In a first-half largely devoid of anything to cheer about, a moment of madness from Cabaye sent the home crowd into a state of fury as the Frenchman's reckless scissor challenge on DeAndre Yedlin could have easily seen him sent off as he went straight through the defender, a lucky escape for the midfielder. 

The last ten minutes of the first period offered a slight change in pace as chances fell for both sides, first from Newcastle's Christian Atsu whose powerful run ended with his shot smashing into the side-netting after being nudged wide by Scott Dann. Whilst Zaha's header at the far post was agonisingly pulled wide. 

Crystal Palace returned in the second-half with renewed intent as they immediately asserted their dominance in possession - albeit with little penetration into the penalty box - as the Magpies clearly lacked ideas and struggled to even locate their teammates.

Despite the Eagles dominance, the lack of an out-and-out striker proved decisive as countless deliveries into the box by their wide players were met only by Newcastle defenders who were able to clear with ease. 

The Eagles; best chance of the second period came in the 66th minute when Townsend was gifted possession in the attacking half, with his cut-back onto his left foot in the penalty box resulting in a curling effort which was a few agonising yards over the crossbar. 

Nigel Roddis/GettyImages

The Magpies woes at St James' Park were realised when their first shot on target was only recorded in the 72nd minute after Mamadou Sakho's weak clearance fell to substitute Mohamed Diame whose strike from 20-yards out finally called Julian Speroni into action.

The effort finally brought the Magpies out of their shells, as a driving effort from Shelvey followed closely after, requiring an instinctive body save by Speroni. With the crowd up and about, Newcastle found their way into the lead in the most simplest of ways.

An out-swinging corner delivered by Ritchie was met by an unmarked Merino at the front post and headed home under the crossbar, sending the Newcastle faithful into a frenzy after the clash looked destined to end with a stalemate. 

The win sends Newcastle up to 14th in the table, with a trip to mid-table rivals Burnley coming next weekend. 

Whilst Crystal Palace - still searching for their first away win this season - must now turn their attention to their mid-week League Cup meeting with Bristol City before hosting West Ham in the league next weekend. 

The drab weather of Storm Brian matched the dull football on offer at St Marys on Saturday evening between Southampton and West Brom, but one moment of magic from substitute Sofiane Boufal managed to rescue all three points for the Saints as they narrowly won 1-0.

Both teams made one change each from their previous score draws, with Saints captain Steven Davis replacing Nathan Redmond and West Brom number 1 Ben Foster recovering from a knee injury to return in place of Boaz Myhill.

The home side maintained the bulk of the possession in the middle third for the opening exchanges - and in the 17th minute a fantastic free-kick from their left back Ryan Bertrand flicked off the head of Jonny Evans and off the side of the post.

Tony Pulis' Baggies are renowned for defending set pieces but they looked shaky from corners and a scramble in the six yard box was almost turned in by Oriol Romeu in the 23rd minute.

Dan Istitene/GettyImages

A sweeping Saints counter-attack on the half hour mark almost resulted in the opening goal as Manolo Gabbiadini traveled half the length of the pitch before feeding Shane Long but the Irishman - on his 100th Premier League appearance for Southampton - just couldn't sort his feet out.

Jonny Evans was then forced off injured after a heavy fall early in the game, resulting in a defensive reshuffle for the Baggies as Allan Nyom came in at right-back and Craig Dawson shifted over to centre-back.

Dan Istitene/GettyImages

West Brom's marking at corners was again brought into question just before half-time as Maya Yoshida was left free at consecutive set pieces - with his first header parried away by Foster and his acrobatic effort at the second delivery going wide. 

The sides went into half-time goalless and came back out looking even less likely to change that.

On the hour mark, Jay Rodriguez had the opportunity he would have been dreaming of against the club he left for £12m in the summer, but could only scuff his volley horribly wide as he raced through on goal.

Saints boss Mauricio Pellegrino had a roll of the dice by replacing defensive midfielder Romeu with winger Redmond for the last 20 minutes to inject some much needed pace - and it was the Englishman's deep cross that found Tadic free, but Foster spread himself well to smother the ball from under his feet.

Dan Istitene/GettyImages

Nacer Chadli tried his luck minutes later with a whipped shot from outside the box stinging the palms of Fraser Forster but this was all the Baggies could really muster in the second half.

Pellegrino brought on attackers Sofiane Boufal and Charlie Austin in an attempt to nick a winner in the final ten minutes, and it was the Morrocan wizard who made the difference in the 86th minute with a magnificent mazy run from his own half expertly finished past Foster for an early goal of the season contender.

Boufal then found his fellow substitute Austin with a delightful through ball in the last minute but the striker could only find the side of the post after taking the ball round the goalkeeper.

West Brom appeared content with sharing the points but ended up with nothing, whilst Southampton earn their first win in four games, lifting them up to tenth. 

You May Like

Eagle (-2)
Birdie (-1)
Bogey (+1)
Double Bogey (+2)