Pro Piacenza, who is struggling financially, had a day to forget when it lost 20-0 after being able to field only seven players, all of them teenagers.

By Associated Press
February 17, 2019

CUNEO, Italy (AP) Pro Piacenza, who is struggling financially, had a day to forget when it lost 20-0 after being able to field only seven players, all of them teenagers.

The club had already forfeited three matches and not playing a fourth on Sunday would have seen it thrown out of Serie C.

''What happened at Cuneo with Pro Piacenza is an insult to the sport and its founding principles,'' Italian football federation president Gabriele Gravina said.

The team turned up at Cuneo with just seven players, the minimum number required. They were all aged between 16 and 19 with captain Nicola Cirigliano listed as the coach.

Cuneo led 16-0 at halftime.

''Our responsibility is to protect the fans ... and the credibility of our championships,'' Gravina said, adding that the game ''which we just witnessed, against our will, will be the last farce.''

The team's squad and staff has reportedly not received a paycheck since past August and it is believed they are owed approximately €500,000. The club has a hearing with the Italian Football Federation next month. 

You May Like