LONDON -- Caroline Wozniacki advanced to the second week of Wimbledon for the first time since 2011, but all anyone wants to talk about is Rory McIlroy. The former No. 1 dismissed 16-year-old Ana Konjuh 6-3, 6-0 in the third round on Friday, and afterwards she dismissed any implication that her improved form was a result of her break-up with McIlroy.
"Honestly, I'm just playing well," she said. "I've always enjoyed the grass. Last year I was unlucky to slip on the grass and hurt myself. I couldn't play for three weeks after. The year before I think I lost to [Tamira] Paszek who had just won Eastbourne. I lost in three tight sets. So obviously a little bit of luck also plays in. But this year I'm feeling good. My game is in a good state."
McIlroy ended their six-month engagement in May, just a week before the French Open. The Dane lost in the first round in Paris, but has rebounded on grass, making the semifinals of a warm-up tournament in Eastbourne last week and now notching her best Grand Slam result since making the fourth round of the Australian Open in 2013.
"My private life has nothing to do with my tennis," Wozniacki said. "When I'm out there, it's a yellow ball, white lines, it's about playing it over the net and inside the lines more than your opponent."
Wozniacki was asked whether she's noticed the overwhelming public support after the break-up and while the 23-year-old said she appreciated it, she wanted to make one thing clear.
"Honestly, I think everyone here wants to make me a victim," she said. "I'm not a victim. I'm just playing tennis. I'm going about my life. I'm playing well. I'm in the second week [of Wimbledon]."
Wozniacki will play No. 43 Barbora Zahlavova Strycova, who upset No. 2 Li Na, on Monday.