Raonic intends to apologize to del Potro for net controversy

Tuesday August 13th, 2013

Milos Raonic finished second at the Rogers Cup in Montreal. (Mike Hewitt/Getty Images) Milos Raonic finished second at the Rogers Cup in Montreal. (Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)

MASON, Ohio -- Milos Raonic says he regrets his decision not to own up to touching the net during his controversial win over Juan Martin del Potro at last week's Rogers Cup, and intends to apologize to del Potro when he sees him this week at the Western & Southern Open.

Late in the second set of their competitive third round match in Montreal, Raonic ran forward to cover a short ball and clearly touched the net with his foot, which should have cost him the point. The umpire missed the call and, despite Del Potro's appeal, refused to overrule himself even after seeing the replay on the big screen. Del Potro didn't win another point for the rest of the match, losing 7-5, 6-4.

"Very upset after the match I lost," Del Potro tweeted after the loss. "About the end... I think everybody saw what happened."

Raonic initially defended his decision not to concede the point even though he knew he touched the net. "It's a big point," Raonic said last week. "If you can put somebody in the situation being down breakpoint, same thing happens, do you call it on yourself?" When a reporter told him it should have been Del Potro's point, Raonic again refused to concede. "Hypothetically yes, technically no," he said.

Now that he's had time to reflect on the incident, Raonic admits he was wrong.

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide—from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Andy Staples, Grant Wahl, and more—delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.