Here Are 10 Things You Might Not Know About $167 Million Man Buster Posey
The San Francisco Giants have wisely locked up Buster Posey, the reigning National League MVP who turned 26 on Wednesday, with a $167 million, nine-year contract. In honor of the deal that will keep Posey behind the plate at AT&T Park through the 2022 season, here are 10 things you might not know about San Fran's baby-faced slugger.
1. He once played all nine positions in a game at FSU, struck out the two batters he faced and hit a grand slam.
He used four different gloves in the 10-0 victory over Savannah State.
2. His full name is Gerald Dempsey "Buster" Posey III.
Surely one of the best in baseball.
3. He watches The Bachelorette with his wife. Then she will watch his favorite show, Swamp People on the History Channel, with him.
He married Kristin, his high-school sweetheart, in January 2009.
4. His twins were born almost exactly nine months from the day he won the World Series in 2010.
Lee Dempsey Posey and Addison Lynn Posey were born on Aug. 14, 2011.
5. He is the youngest Giants player to hit a home run in a World Series game at 23 years and 219 days old.
It was an eighth-inning solo shot off the Rangers' Darren O'Day in Game 4.
[mlbvideo id="12941775" width="400" height="224" /]
6. He's an avid golfer and played at Augusta National in 2011.
Must be nice.
7. He mashed a grand slam off Mat Latos in Game 5 of last year's NLDS that elicited hilarious dejection from the opposing pitcher and catcher.
It still hasn't landed yet.
8. Umpires love him.
9. His younger sister, Samantha, played softball for Valdosta State and once hit a home run cycle in a doubleheader.
That's a one-run homer, two-run homer, three-run homer and a grand slam. She went 5-for-7 with 11 RBIs in the twinbill.
10. Contrary to previous reports, Posey in fact grounded into a game-ending double play to lose the World Series against the Tigers in 2012.
"It's a video game, you moron." http://youtu.be/XBSx_1XNy5w