NBA trade rumors: Latest news, buzz as deadline nears
The NBA trade deadline is Feb. 18 at 3 p.m. ET, and as usual, the rumors have begun to swirl in full. With the league’s annual summit at All-Star weekend days away and meetings set to take place behind closed doors, the buzz will only intensify as the deadline nears.
Numerous big names could be on the move, as contenders look to bolster their teams ahead of the NBA playoffs. Other teams could be looking to unload salary ahead of the summer, when the salary cap will jump to unprecedented levels. Teams rumored to be looking to make moves include the Miami Heat, Orlando Magic, Toronto Raptors, Boston Celtics and more.
Who’s staying? Who’s going? Stay tuned for updates as the clock continues to tick.
• The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports the Hawks are not actively trying to deal point guard Jeff Teague but will listen to offers. The Philadelphia Inquirer reported the 76ers have engaged the Hawks in trade talks for Teague or his backup Dennis Schroder. The 76ers aren’t expected to make a serious push, according to the report.
• The Nets have reportedly reached out to the Hawks for Paul Millsap, according to Alan Hahn on ESPN Radio.
• The Minnesota Timberwolves have refuted any reports that they have been contacted with interest for Ricky Rubio, according to Darren Wolfson of KSTP in Minneapolis.
• ESPN’s Brian Windhorst reports the Toronto Raptors are interested in forwards Thaddeus Young, Kenneth Faried and Markieff Morris.
• CSN New England’s Chris Mannix reports the Boston Celtics are in the mix for Hawks center Al Horford. The Celtics possess numerous attractive trade assets to acquire a star.
• The Miami Herald’s Ethan Skolnick reports the Miami Heat are interested in Kings’ shooter Omri Casspi. The Heat are near the bottom of the league in three-point shooting percentage.
• Basketball Insiders’s Steve Kyler reports the Orlando Magic have engaged the Los Angeles Clippers on trade talks.
• The Hawks are “engaged in serious internal discussions” surrounding the core of their team, including Horford, Teague and Kyle Korver, ESPN’s Kevin Arnovitz and Windhorst report. The Hawks sit in the middle of a crowded Eastern Conference and are weighing whether to take a step back, deal their veterans and acquire younger talent. Horford in particular, will be an unrestricted free agent after the season and command a significant deal on the open market.
• Hawks point guard Teague is currently backed up by the 22-year-old Schröder, who has shown promise and is in line for increased playing time in the near future. ESPN reports the Pacers have reached out about Teague and are offering point guard George Hill as part of a swap, with the Magic also interested.
• Frank Isola of the New York Daily News reports that the Hawks and Magic have been in discussion about a deal including Teague and guard Victor Oladipo.