Now in the third week of preseason play, NFL training camps are closer to winding down. Attention turns toward final roster cuts, developing rookies and settling the depth charts.
Elsewhere, teams expecting to contend will look to plug any surprising weaknesses, and teams seeking a turnaround will see what improvements are possible.
So, what’s the latest on these teams and players? Check back often as we update below with the latest scoops on transactions, injury news and rumors.
- Redskins linebacker Junior Galette tore his Achilles tendon at practice Wednesday, The Washington Post's Mike Jones reports. The injury likely means the end of Galette's season.
- Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel sat out of practice Wednesday due to soreness in his throwing elbow and is likely to miss Saturday's preseason game against the Buccaneers, Browns head coach Mike Pettine said. An MRI on Wednesday revealed no structural damage in Manziel's elbow.
- Houston Texans quarterback Ryan Mallet did not attend practice Thursday for what head coach Bill O'Brien called “personal reasons.” The team announced Monday that Brian Hoyer would be the starting quarterback this season.
- Bryce Brown and Boobie Dixon returned to Buffalo Bills practice Thursday, reports ESPN. Brown has been out due to a hamstring injury, while Dixon has been unable to practice as a result of a calf injury.
- The Baltimore Ravens announced that they signed safety Will Hill to a two-year contract Thursday.