Tuesday December 8th, 2015

St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher told reporters Monday that wide receiver Stedman Bailey’s NFL career could be over after he was shot in the head last month, according to the Associated Press.

Bailey sustained two gunshot wounds to the head on Nov. 24, and is in stable condition but still recovering in a Florida hospital after undergoing extensive surgery.

On Monday, Fisher affirmed that Bailey may never return to the field, but said the receiver's recovery has demonstrated his resolve.

“There’s a chance he doesn’t play (again),” Fisher said. “However, based on what he’s done over the last 10 days, he may surprise everybody.”

Rams’ Stedman Bailey: ‘Miracle’ recovery from gunshot wounds

Bailey, 25, is in his third season with the Rams after being selected by St. Louis in the third round of the 2013 NFL draft. He has caught 59 passes for 843 yards through 38 career games, including eight starts.

Monday marked the end of Bailey’s four-game suspension for a violation of the NFL’s substance abuse policy. He will now likely be placed on the non-football injury list.

- Erin Flynn

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.