FIFA president Sepp Blatter proposed a series of reforms to the organization in a speech on Tuesday announcing his impending resignation from his leadership position.
Blatter announced that he would resign from his position at a press conference in Zurich amid a corruption scandal engulfing FIFA. The 79-year-old Blatter was re-elected to a fifth term as FIFA's president last week, just days after the U.S. Justice Department indicted 14 FIFA officials and business partners on a variety of corruption charges. On Monday, The New York Times reported that FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke, Blatter's top deputy, wired $10 million to accounts controlled by former CONCACAF president Jack Warner.
In his Tuesday announcement, Blatter called for an "extraordinary congress" to elect a new president no sooner than four months from now, with the expectation being that the election would take place anytime from December 2015 to March 2016, FIFA said.
In his speech, Blatter proposed several reforms to the embattled organization.
"Since I shall not be a candidate, and am therefore now free from the constraints that elections inevitably impose, I shall be able to focus on driving far-reaching, fundamental reforms that transcend our previous efforts," Blatter said.
Blatter proposed "deep-rooted structural change," including a reduction in the size of the Executive Committee and the election of Executive Committee members through FIFA Congress. He also said that ExCo candidates should be vetted for integrity by FIFA and not regional confederations.
Blatter also proposed term limits for the Executive Committee and for FIFA president, despite FIFA rejecting term limits at the 2014 FIFA Congress.
"I have fought for these changes before, and as everyone knows, my efforts have been blocked," Blatter said. "This time, I will succeed."
- Stanley Kay