UNSUPPORTED BROWSER
Tennis

Rafael Nadal postpones U.S. Open decision to next week

Rafael Nadal postpones U.S. Open decision to next week Photo:

Rafael Nadal will make a decision next week on whether or not he'll compete at the upcoming U.S. Open.

The world No. 2 withdrew from the U.S. Open lead-up tournaments due to a right wrist injury he sustained in practice after Wimbledon, and was seen practicing with a splint. Nadal flew to Barcelona to get the wrist checked earlier this week, and his public relations manager said a decision would be made by the end of this week. 

"The images showed what we expected to see," Dr. Angel Ruiz Cotorro, Nadal's doctor, told Marca. "I am neither optimistic nor pessimistic, I'm realistic. Now begins the rehabilitation process and then see on the track."

Nadal was playing sans splint on Thursday in Mallorca, but the Spaniard's public relations manager tweeted on Friday that he has postponed his decision until early next week:

The U.S. Open begins on August 25th. 

Promoted Stories
Comments

More Tennis

SI.com

Drag this icon to your bookmark bar.
Then delete your old SI.com bookmark.

SI.com

Click the share icon to bookmark us.