Floyd Mayweather Jr. has been denied a visa from Australia over concerns about his domestic violence and assault convictions.
Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s visa application has been denied by Australia, according to the Sydney Morning Herald.
Mayweather was scheduled for dinner and nightclub appearances in Sydney on Jan. 29 and 30, which were later delayed to Feb. 5 and 6.
The Australia Department of Immigration took Mayweather's criminal past into account before making its decision. From the Herald:
The Department of Immigration has been assessing whether the 37-year-old should be allowed into the country despite a series of criminal convictions for domestic violence and assault committed against several women. The department has previously overlooked the criminal past and dubious character of several international celebrities in order to allow them to visit Australia.
Mayweather served two months in jail in 2012 after he pleaded guilty to a reduced battery domestic violence charge. In 2002, he was convicted of misdemeanor battery after a fight with two women at a nightclub.
Publicist Max Markson, who was organizing Mayweather's Australian tour, told the Herald that the decision will be appealed. A change.org petition had previously been started calling for the rejection of Mayweather's visa. It accumulated nearly 47,000 supporters.
"The government takes very seriously its role in protecting the Australian community from the risk of harm by non-citizens who engage in criminal conduct and/or conduct that is of serious concern," assistant minister for immigration and border protection, Senator the Hon Michaelia Cash, told the Herald.
- Molly Geary