Former Duke guard Rasheed Sulaimon will transfer to Maryland to play his final season.
Sulaimon told ESPN he is on track to graduate in August, making him immediately eligible to play the 2015-16 season.
In early March, a report from The Duke Chronicle said Sulaimon was tied to two sexual assaults during the 2013-14 school year. Sulaimon denied the allegations last month, telling ESPN that he has "never sexually assaulted, not only anyone on the Duke campus, but anyone period."
"We did our due diligence," Maryland coach Mark Turgeon told ESPN. "We were extremely thorough and talked to a lot of people and vetted the entire situation. I've known Rasheed and his family since he was 13, and I believe in him. There's a trust factor, and we've had a strong relationship."
Sulaimon, who visited Maryland on Friday, told ESPN in April that his dismissal from Duke was because he "got frustrated" and believed he should have still been starting, leading to a breakdown in his relationship with Krzyzewski.
Before his dismissal last season, Sulaimon averaged 7.5 points and 1.8 assists for the Blue Devils, shooting 40.4% from beyond the arc. As a freshman in 2012-13, he averaged a career-high 11.6 points and 3.6 rebounds.
The Terps finished 28–7 in their first year in the Big Ten, falling in the round of 32 of the NCAA tournament.
I want 2 thank the duke community & fans for 3 of the best years of my life. I will always remember & miss that place— Rasheed Sulaimon (@sheed_ctmd1) May 11, 2015
With that being said, I am blessed & honored for the opportunity to continue my dreams at the university of Maryland! 🐢🐢🐢🏀🏀🏀— Rasheed Sulaimon (@sheed_ctmd1) May 11, 2015
- Molly Geary