Skip to main content

Washington beats Seattle U for 11th straight time

  • Author:
  • Publish date:

SEATTLE (AP) When the University of Washington was on the verge of seeing its second-half lead against Seattle University slip away, guard David Crisp came off the bench and hit some of the biggest shots of the game.

Crisp scored eight straight points after the Redhawks had cut the lead to four points with 10 minutes to play, keeping UW on top and helping propel the Huskies to a 79-68 win Tuesday night.

Crisp's run included a pair of 3-pointers, part of a 3-for-5 shooting effort behind the arc for the freshman, who finished with 13 points.

''When you have a guy that can make those shots, you bring it out,'' Washington coach Lorenzo Romar said. ''We tried to get him the ball in position where he could have good looks. He knocked them down, and they were crucial shots for us.''

Washington has won 11 straight against Seattle University, a streak dating back to 1978. The teams have played annually since 2008-2009.

Andrew Andrews scored 18 points to lead the Huskies, Marquese Chriss added 16 points, and Noah Dickerson and Malik Dime each had 10 for the Washington, who have won five of their last six games. The Huskies were coming off a 97-83 loss to Oakland on Saturday.

''We started a little slow, but it's always great to bounce back with a win,'' Andrews said.

Dime also came off the bench to give the Huskies a big spark. Dime had four blocks in six minutes in the first half, and finished with five blocks as well as shooting 5-for-5 from the field.

''I thought there were several times where Seattle U players were going to the rim, saw Malik and passed the ball back out,'' Romar said. He did a very good job, I thought, anchoring our defense.''

Jadon Cohee had 13 points to lead the Redhawks, who had five players in double figures. Brendan Westendorf, Manroop Clair and William Powell each scored 12, and Aaron Menzies had 10.

Seattle University jumped off to an early lead, but Washington seemed to take control of the game when the Huskies went up 11 after halftime. The Redhawks kept fighting, and cut the lead to 59-55 on Menzie's tip-in midway through the second half.

Crisp kept the Huskies on top, although the Redhawks kept pushing. Seattle was within six points with less than four minutes to play when the effort was derailed.

A dunk by Dime put Washington ahead 73-65, and with 2:35 left in the game, Menzies got tangled up with Dickerson on a rebound, and violently swung his elbows. Menzies was called for a flagrant 2 foul and ejected, and Andrews made both technical free throw shots to put UW up 75-65, effectively ending Seattle University's hopes.

''That probably put it to bed, but we had some opportunities before that,'' Seattle coach Cameron Dollar said. ''You can go back on film and see individual plays that happened down that stretch, but it all equates to effort or execution. In order to get something down in somebody else's venue, in hostile confines, you can't be talking about effort and execution after the game.''

The Redhawks went on a 12-2 run in the opening minutes to take a seven-point lead. UW countered with its own 10-0 run. Andrews scored the first eight points of the run, and capped it off with a steal and an assist on Malik Dime's dunk.

The teams stayed close until the final 2 1/2 minutes of the first half, when Washington pulled away with a 11-3 run to take a 46-37 halftime lead.


Seattle: Redhawks coach Cameron Dollar was an assistant coach at Washington for seven years on Husky coach Lorenzo Romar's staff. Dollar is 0-7 against his old boss in seven seasons as Seattle University's head coach.

Washington: The Huskies were 7 for 27 on 3-pointers, snapping a four-game streak of at least 10 3-pointers made. The Huskies have five games this season with double-digit 3-pointers made, the first time they've had that many in a season since 2011-2012, when the team reached the mark in six games.


Seattle hosts UC Davis on Monday.

Washington hosts UC Santa Barbara on Monday.