You're watching a car crash and you can't turn away.
That phrase is true in both senses with the NFL. As I stood on the sidelines of Colts training camp beside SI.com's
The Colts might have the player that best symbolizes the modern NFL in
The NFL is filled with human missiles, heat seeking safeties who don't think about anything longer term than the next down. We "ooh" and "ahh" at their exploits, but we also see the costs and the risks that they inflict. We'll hear of injuries from Day One of camp until the Super Bowl and beyond, but don't pretend we don't know why.
Let's take a quick look around at the early camp injuries:
• What is microfracture surgery? It's easy to
• The combination of a speed player and a knee injury seems to be a bad one. But actually,
• Just days after saying he was "fully recovered" from surgery on his shoulder and knee,
• "Swelling and pain" -- that doesn't sound so bad, does it? To a football player, it does.
• Someone's been
• There aren't many guys comparable to
• Sometimes, having a Super Bowl ring wins the argument. I called my pal
• I know, I know -- a defensive end doesn't come up on most fantasy lists, but here's where knowing something about players that aren't going to be on your roster will help you learn something about someone who might be.