There was a time when he was unassailable. His football acumen, like his biceps, was solid as a rock. When Hochuli took the field, you knew he'd keep the players and coaches in line and the fans well informed. After last Monday night's contest between the New Orleans Saints and Minnesota Vikings, sales of voodoo dolls rose sharply in Louisiana's largest city and the streets rang with the howls of incensed Saints fans feeling that they, like fans before them in San Diego and Carolina, had been victims of his suddenly faulty administration of the rules of the game. Chants of "Who Dat" were followed by the raucous shouts of "Hochuli!" as effigies of Hochuli and his crew were paraded through the streets. The talking heads on network sports shows fanned the flames while lamenting his abrupt fall from grace.
There were numerous missed calls, including a vicious hit that should have been flagged when
Everyone wants to blame someone else for their problems.
I'm not exonerating Hochuli, but the Miller call wasn't his to make and frankly, he wasn't in position to make the call anyway. His hands were tied by the NFL's instant replay rules, which don't allow penalty reviews.
People, get off his back already! Be careful, Saints fans. If I start feeling feverish, experience sudden and excruciating pain shooting through certain delicate parts of my body, well, you should know that I'm tight with the Yaponcha, the Hopi Indian God of Wind.
• OK, I'm off the soapbox and sitting on the Thinking Chair. Not
• Was anyone else besides me thrilled not to have to watch
• Um, O.J.? I hope you didn't have a deposit down for that acquittal party. Looks like you are going to need some commissary money for the next few years.
• At what point does
• Yo, Pacman. Yeah, I'm talking to you
• Reasons why you draft depth at key positions like WR and RB:
• Reasons why you never draft a QB early:
Early season busts --
Early season steals --
• Le'Ron McClain; Oh how I love thee, let me count the ways --
• I don't know how long he'll last, but Steve Slaton is making a lot of pundits look foolish right now.
• The Atlanta Falcons are 3-2? Seriously? OK, I did pick them to beat Green Bay last week and Michael Turner is leading the league in rushing. Atlanta fans should send
• Don't look now, but Cincinnati seems like an awfully dangerous team after playing both the Giants and the Cowboys tough, with a chance to win both those games. I'm sorry, but six touchdowns in a game or not, I'm
• Last week Buffalo showed its true colors, and the fact that when an opposing offense lights up the score board, they don't have the weapons to return fire. Marshawn Lynch, the beast within, is looking a lot like a cuddly little kitten.
• Kurt, let's not talk retirement just yet, OK buddy? You have me rocking toward fantasy football dominance so far this year. Focus man. Focus!
• Speaking of hurting,
• Al Davis is our Honorary Hot Seat Chairman until further notice, or the men with white jackets finally, mercifully take him away. Good thing he doesn't live in Florida, because the line of people willing to Baker Act him would be a real hassle for the constabulary.
• Since we have a few vacancies, I've extended an invitation to
Conspiracy? Inquiring minds want to know.