AP DERBY TOP 10: Wire-to-wire for Nyquist as No. 1 contender
Unlike Pharoah-phever a year ago, Nyquist-mania hasn't yet struck in the days leading to the Kentucky Derby. It might by next Saturday night if the undefeated colt ends up in the winner's circle at Churchill Downs.
American Pharoah came into the Derby off rousing wins in two races in Arkansas, then won the Derby as the favorite and went on to become racing's first Triple Crown winner in 37 years.
Nyquist, meanwhile, will attempt to become just the eighth 3-year-old to win the Derby with an unbeaten record. Big Brown in 2008 was the most recent. Nyquist has won all seven of his races, including a showdown over highly regarded Mohaymen in the Florida Derby.
The son of Uncle Mo has done everything right up to now, winning the Breeders' Cup Juvenile to clinch 2-year-old champion honors. Trained by Doug O'Neill, Nyquist won the San Vicente in his 3-year-old debut prior to being shipped to Gulfstream Park for the Florida Derby.
And with that, Nyquist completes a wire-to-wire run through the prep season at No. 1 in the final AP Run to the Roses Top 10. Last year, Dortmund wired the AP Top 10 as well with six wins in six starts in 2015 before running third in the Derby to stablemate American Pharoah.
''Of course,'' O'Neill said of added pressure in having the clear-cut Derby favorite. ''But you might say it's good pressure. I'd rather be the Derby favorite than a horse that snuck in.''
Nyquist settled in at Keeneland for a few weeks, and arrived at Churchill Downs on Saturday. A day earlier, he worked a mile in 1:41 at Keeneland.
''He's doing unbelievably well,'' O'Neill said on Saturday.
Newly elected Hall of Famer Steve Asmussen has two shots at winning his first Derby, with No. 2 Gun Runner and No. 9 Creator. Gun Runner took the Louisiana Derby on March 26 in his last start, and Creator stormed from last-to-first to win the Arkansas Derby on April 16.
''I'm extremely proud of the shape that both of these horses are in going into the Derby,'' Asmussen said after both colts had workouts at Churchill Downs earlier in the week.
Also with two horses in the final Top 10 is Todd Pletcher, who trains No. 7 Outwork and No. 8 Destin.
Here's our final Top 10:
1. Nyquist (Doug O'Neill, trainer; Mario Gutierrez, jockey): All good on Nyquist front after final workout at Keeneland. ... Owner, trainer, rider won 2012 Derby, Preakness with I'll Have Another. ... A perfect 7-0 record. ... Next start: Kentucky Derby, Churchill Downs, May 7. ... Derby odds: 3-1 (future wager).
2. Gun Runner (Steve Asmussen, Florent Geroux): Trainer now a Hall of Famer in search of first Derby win. ... Louisiana Derby winner Gun Runner worked 6 furlongs in 1:12.20 at Churchill on Monday. ... Geroux has first Derby mount. ... Next start: Kentucky Derby. ... Odds: 13-1.
3. Exaggerator (Keith Desormeaux, Kent Desormeaux): Santa Anita Derby winner worked 5 furlongs in 1:02.60 at Churchill Downs on Saturday. ... Santa Anita Derby winners have won two of last four Derbys. ... Next start: Kentucky Derby. ... Odds: 27-1.
4. Mor Spirit (Bob Baffert, Gary Stevens): Can Baffert do it again? ... Colt has been first or second in seven career starts. ... Runner-up in last two preps, San Felipe and Santa Anita Derby. ... Next start: Kentucky Derby. ... Odds: 11-1.
5. Brody's Cause (Dale Romans, Luis Saez): Might be peaking at right time based on Blue Grass win. ... Worked 5 furlongs in 1:01.80 at Churchill Downs on Saturday. ... First of three wins came at Churchill last year. ... Next start: Kentucky Derby. ... Odds: 10-1 (mutuel field).
6. Mohaymen (Kiaran McLaughlin, Junior Alvarado): Looks to make amends for only loss in six starts. ... Ran fourth in Florida Derby after five Grade 2 wins. ... Worked 4 furlongs in 47.40 at Churchill on Friday. ... Next start: Kentucky Derby. ... Odds: 13-1.
7. Outwork (Todd Pletcher, John Velazquez): Wood winner is one of three sons of Uncle Mo in Derby. ... Worked 5 furlongs in 1:01.20 at Churchill on Friday ... Ran second to stablemate Destin in Tampa Bay Derby. ... Next start: Kentucky Derby. ... Odds: 30-1.
8. Destin (Pletcher, Javier Castellano): Eight-week layoff for Tampa Bay Derby winner. ... Worked 5 furlongs in 1:01.20 at Churchill on Friday. ... Has three wins in five starts. ... Next start: Kentucky Derby. ... Odds: 16-1.
9. Creator (Asmussen, Ricardo Santana): Arkansas Derby winner worked 5 furlongs in 1:02.40 at Churchill Downs on Monday. ... Likely long shot with just two wins in nine races. ... Next start: Kentucky Derby. ... Odds: 58-1.
10. Danzing Candy (Cliff Sise, Jr., Mike Smith): San Felipe winner among strong contingent of California-based horses. ... Ran fourth in Santa Anita Derby. ... Worked 5 furlongs in 59.60 at San Luis Rey Downs on Saturday. ... Next start: Kentucky Derby. ... Odds: 16-1.
Keep an eye on: Lani, My Man Sam, Mo Tom, Suddenbreakingnews, Whitmore.
Twitter at: http://www.twitter.com/rosenblattap