A-Rod reaches out to Chase Headley, third base situation not discussed
Headley said that the two talked after he signed a four-year, $52 million deal.
The Yankees have said that Headley will be their third baseman this season while Rodriguez, if he makes the team, will be their designated hitter.
The team also reportedly wants to void Rodriguez’s marketing contract, which calls for bonuses of $24 million if he passes certain career home run marks. New York also still owes Rodriguez $61 million over the next three seasons.
While Headley did not go into details about what the two discussed during their conversation, one thing that did not come up was the third-base situation.
“We didn't talk about that,” Headley said, according to the New York Daily News. “It was just more of an introduction. I think we both care about winning. That's the most important thing and that's what we talked about. That [other] stuff will sort itself out. I'm not going to concern myself with that. I'm going to come out and try to do the best I can to do my job, and however that shakes out it will shake out.”
Rodriguez was suspended for the entire 2014 season after his involvement in the Biogenesis scandal. Headley batted .262 with six homers and 17 RBI in 58 games after he was traded from the San Diego Padres.
Rodriguez met with Yankees officials last week and apologized to the team. The Yankees position players are scheduled to attend the team’s first spring training workout on Feb. 26.
- Scooby Axson