Catch up on the latest rumors, news and notes as the MLB trade deadline approaches.
Major League Baseball is nearing the trade deadline. Teams have until Monday to either acquire players to boost their rosters for the stretch run or trade away veterans in preparation for the future.
Plenty of big names are expected to be involved in trades, and the transactions have started to come through. The Cubs dangled their young prospects as bait to acquire flamethrowing pitcher Aroldis Chapman from the Yankees, who could keep selling as they fall behind in the AL East race.
Some of the more recognizable names rumored to be on the trade block include Andrew Miller, Carlos Beltran, Jay Bruce and Jonathan Lucroy.
Follow this page to remain up-to-date on the latest rumors from around the league.
Wednesday (all times Eastern)
• The Rangers, Indians, Astros, Mets, Red Sox and a believed “mystery team” are in the running for Matt Lucroy from the Brewers. (Jerry Crasnick, ESPN)
• In need of bullpen help, the Giants have held discussions with the Phillies on Jeanmar Gomez and the Brewers on Jeremy Jeffress. (Buster Olney, ESPN)
Sources: The current estimate is that the qualifying offer for MLB free agents will jump from $15.8m last winter to $16.7m this winter.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) July 27, 2016
• It’s becoming more likely the Rays will wait until the off-season to trade one of their starting pitchers. (Jerry Crasnick, ESPN)
• The Nationals have intensified their search for a relief pitcher after their walk-off loss to the Cleveland Indians last night. Close Jonathan Papelbon has been charged with the loss in two consecutive appearances. (Jon Morosi, Fox Sports)
• White Sox pitcher James Shields is available to be traded, and could command a strong return as a result of his recent success. Shields has pitched for a 1.71 ERA over his last six starts. (Jon Morosi, Fox Sports)
• The Padres and Giants are engaged in active talks regarding San Diegeo pitcher Andrew Cashner. (Jon Morosi, Fox Sports)
• Several teams have inquired about Rays utility man Steve Pearce, who is likely to be traded before the deadline. The Indians are among the interested teams. (Joel Sherman, New York Post)
• The Mariners acquired relief pitcher Drew Storen in exchange for pitcher Joaquin Benoit and cash. (Mariners PR)
• Teams interested in Padres pitcher Andrew Cashner wanted to see him pitch one more time before agreeing to San Diego’s asking price. Cashner gave up two runs in the first inning on Tuesday against the Blue Jays and ultimately pitched six innings with three earned runs on four hits. three walks and two home runs. (Ken Rosenthal, Fox Sports)
• Four teams are in the mix for Reds outfielder Jay Bruce. Cincinnati is seeking a top prospect. (Jerry Crasnick, ESPN)
• San Diego could trade Andrew Cashner before his scheduled start tonight. (Jon Morosi, Fox Sports)
• The Nationals are still looking for bullpen help, but won’t part with prospects Lucas Giolito, Trea Turner or Reynaldo Lopez. (Jayson Stark, ESPN)
• Jeremy Hellickson is being scouted by the Rangers, Orioles and Marlins. (Jerry Crasnick, ESPN)
• The Royals and Yankees are listening to offers for Wade Davis and Andrew Miller but many general managers believe they will stay put. (Bob Nightengale, USA Today)
• Toronto is focused on getting pitching help. (Joel Sherman, New York Post)
• The Dodgers may be willing to package pitching prospect Julio Urias in a trade for White Sox ace Chris Sale. (Joel Sherman, New York Post)
• Miami is keeping tabs on Yankees pitchers Michael Pineda and Ivan Nova. (Sherman)
• The Diamondbacks may be listening to offers for Shelby Miller but would not surrender him for cheap. “We have been asked about Miller,” general manager Dave Stewart said. “Teams think we’ve given up on him, we haven’t.” (Ken Rosenthal, FOX Sports)
• The Padres will pay all but $5 million of Upton's salary through next year. (Jon Morosi, MLB.com)