The MLB trade deadline is now less than one week away, and the race to make moves before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline is on.
As the second half of the season continues, teams looking to acquire a big bat or solidify their starting rotation for a playoff run are making calls around the league.
The Orioles have been the most active so far, trading All–Star shortstop Manny Machado to the Dodgers and sending closer Zach Britton to the Yankees for three pitching prospects.
Teams are placing a premium on starting pitching, knowing that a dominant rotation can lead to postseason success.
The Yankees and Cubs were the big winners Thursday, coming away with J.A. Happ and Cole Hamels.
Here is the latest news and rumors from around the league:
• The Astros acquired RHP Ryan Pressly from the Twins for RHP Jorge Alcala and centerfielder Gilberto Celestino. (Ken Rosenthal, The Athletic)
• The Brewers are in serious talks with the Orioles for deal involving second baseman Jonathan Schoop, starter Kevin Gausman or both. (Ken Rosenthal, The Athletic)
• The Phillies and Indians are among the teams asking the Rangers about the availability of Joey Gallo. (Evan Grant, Dallas Morning News)
• The Phillies have acquired infielder Asdrubal Cabrera from the Mets in exchange for minor league RHP Franklyn Kilome. New York also signed veteran outfielder Austin Jackson and designated Matt den Decker for assignment. (New York Mets)
• The Diamondbacks are "close to acquiring" Twins infielder Eduardo Escobar. (Ken Rosenthal and Dan Hayes, The Athletic)
• The Mets are engaged in trade discussions with the Brewers over RHP Zack Wheeler and infielder Asdrubal Cabrera, but there is "no indication the deal is close." The Diamondbacks are also interested in Cabrera. (Ken Rosenthal, The Athletic)
• Cole Hamels was traded from the Rangers to the Cubs. Texas received RHP Eddie Butler, minor league RHP Rollie Lacy and a player to be named later, while Chicago was also given cash considerations in the deal. (Chicago Cubs)
• The Brewers have interest in pitcher Matt Harvey and are in trade talks with the Reds (Jon Morosi, MLB Network)
• Lefthanded pitcher Jonny Venters was traded from the Rays to the Braves in exchange for an international signing slot. (Tampa Bay Rays)
• The Rangers have reportedly traded pitcher Hamels to the Cubs, pending a physical. Texas will receive minor leaguers in exchange for the southpaw and send "a significant amount of cash to cover Hamels' salary." (Jeff Passan, Yahoo Sports)
• The Pirates are interested in acquiring Rangers closer Keone Kela. The Rangers conducted background work on four of Pittsburgh's prospects but are not considering them in current trade discussions. (Ken Rosenthal, The Athletic)
• The Blue Jays traded pitcher J.A. Happ to the Yankees in exchange for infielder Brandon Drury and minor league outfielder Billy McKinney. (Toronto Blue Jays)
• The Cardinals traded righthanded reliever Sam Tuivailala to the Mariners in exchange for Minor League reliever Seth Elledge, their No. 10 prospect. (Greg Johns, MLB.com)
• The Mets are interested in trading infielder Asdrubal Cabrera. The Diamondbacks, Brewers, Phillies, and Braves are all in the market. (Jon Heyman, MLB Network)