British fighter Paul Kelly and Canadian fighter Jonathan Goulet had been expecting to face each other when the Ultimate Fighting Championship returned to the O2 Arena in London on June 7. But before the bout could even be officially announced by the promotion, not one, but both fighters had to withdraw from the bout due to health concerns.
Late last week, Goulet, not disclosing the specifics of his withdrawal, said, "I have to cancel the fight against Paul Kelly for UFC 85 because of health reasons."
At the same time, Kelly, unaware of Goulet's problems, had the injury bug bite him. "I injured me finger," he told MMAWeekly.com.
Kelly actually injured his finger about three weeks ago in training, but tried to work his way through it, but it wasn't to be. He later discovered that he pulled the ligaments on the back of his finger, which is quite painful and limits the functionality in his right hand.
He is expected to be in a cast for about three weeks or so.
It isn't something that he could change, but that doesn't stop Kelly from being disappointed that he will be unable to fight at UFC 85. "I'm feeling a bit guilty," said Kelly. "I'm a little bit devastated over possibly missing me bonus."