Manager: Jon Jones may never compete in MMA again
The manager for former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones says that his future in the MMA is uncertain and there is a chance that he will never compete in the sport again.
Jones, 27, was stripped of his title after a April 26 three-car traffic accident in Albuquerque, N.M., in which he was charged with a felony for leaving the scene of an accident involving death or personal injury.
Police say Jones struck a car driven by a pregnant motorist, breaking the woman’s wrist and arm. Jones fled the scene but returned later to get cash out of his vehicle and was later arrested.
"It could very well be the last time we've seen Jon Jones in the Octagon," Malki Kawa Kawa told MMAFighting.com. "I think Jon Jones is gonna focus on Jon Jones. I think he's gonna take the time to do whatever he's gotta do. And if it's the last time we've seen him fight, it's the last time we've seen him fight. And I'm OK with that."
Jones (21-1) had been scheduled to defend his title against Anthony Johnson at UFC 187 on May 23 in Las Vegas.
"If this is the last time we've ever seen him fight. and it very well may be, then it's because of a decision he's decided to make," Kawa said. "It won't be because of something you guys are perceiving to be a problem. It won't be because of any of the negative headlines of the positive things he's done. It's just because he feels he's had it. Maybe that's it."
- Scooby Axson