In somewhat surprising news, top ranking. pound-for-pound no. 1 fighter in the UFC Jon Jones is relinquishing his light heavyweight championship title.
Yet, just shortly after he took to Twitter to share that his title is officially up for grabs., Jones tweeted an update saying, “Just had a really positive conversation with @ufc. Sounds like there will be negotiations for my next fight at heavyweight. All good news, the weight gaining process begins.“
Jones has hinted at this jump for some time and even talked about potential fights against both Ngannou and Miocic. Jones has held the Light heavyweight champion title since December 2018 and has not lost a fight in over a decade.
FOR MORE CONTENT FROM SI:
- 2020 Fantasy Baseball: Weekly Rankings Projections (August 17)
- Late Round Fantasy QB Would You Rather: Tom Brady or Jimmy Garoppolo?
- NBA Playoffs: Most Exciting Matchups, Players Facing the Most Pressure and Predictions
- Five Things to Know About Jason Wright, Washington's New Team President
- Breaking Protocol Leads to Teammates Turning on Culprits: TRAINA THOUGHTS
- How Good Are the Cubs? We're About to Find Out
- Lutz Pfannenstiel's Winding Journey Leads Him to St. Louis and MLS