Carmelo Anthony: 'I am looking forward to continue my career in Orange and Blue'
Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony announced via his website on Sunday his decision to remain with the Knicks and "continue my career in Orange and Blue." The news comes weeks after the seven-time All-Star and former league scoring champion exercised his early termination option on his three year, $64 million deal in order to explore free agency this summer. More recently, it was reported that Anthony had been closing in on a five-year $120+ million deal to remain with the Knicks. On his website, the 30-year-old said he looks forward to teaming up with new Knicks president Phil Jackson:
Anthony said in the statement that it was his dream a few years ago to play in his birthplace of New York City but recently decided to explore all the options available to him at this "pivotal juncture of my career" because he "owed it to myself and my family."
"In the end, I am a New York Knick at heart. I am looking forward to continue my career in Orange & Blue and to work with Phil Jackson, a champion who builds championship teams. Madison Square Garden is the mecca of basketball and I am surrounded by the greatest fans in the world."
- Marc Weinreich