The NBA rumor mill continues to churn as we move closer to the June 25 NBA draft. The Warriors finished off the Cavaliers in the NBA Finals on Tuesday, setting the off-season in motion. Check back often as we update below with the latest draft scoops, news, rumors and possible transactions.
For more on the NBA draft, check out Chris Mannix’s latest first-round mock draft and Jake Fischer’s Q&A with Kristaps Porzingis, a Latvian prospect who has reportedly climbed up many teams’ draft boards.
• Willie Cauley-Stein had his best workout with the Knicks, reports the New York Post.
• Kentucky head coach John Calipari said on a teleconference on Thursday that he had spoken to Knicks director of player personnel Mark Warkentien about Cauley-Stein, but not president Phil Jackson or head coach Derek Fisher.
• Calipari also said he heard Jackson walked away from a Kentucky practice impressed by forward Trey Lyles.
• D’Angelo Russell said he “killed” his workout with the 76ers on Wednesday, reports the Philadelphia Inquirer.
• The Raptors are working out six guards on Thursday, including R.J. Hunter, Terry Rozier and J.P. Tokoto, according to TSN's Josh Lewenberg.
• D’Angelo Russell is working out for the Timberwolves on Thursday, reports ESPN's Chad Ford.
• Texas' Jonathan Holmes is a fan of Stan Van Gundy and the Detroit Pistons, the former Longhorn told the Detroit Free Press. Even though Detroit wouldn't select him until the second round—the 38th pick of the draft—Holmes visited the Pistons on Wednesday. Holmes is projected by some to be a late first-round pick.
• Cleveland Cavaliers guard J.R. Smithtold ESPN.com's Chris Broussard that he will likely opt out of the final year of his contract. Smith is scheduled to make $6.4 million next season. Smith added that he “absolutely” wants to be back in Cleveland.