The latest news and rumors from the NBA as the regular season approaches.
The NBA preseason is in its final stretch as we inch closer to the start of the regular season on Tuesday. With less than one week to go, teams are ramping up their preparations for the long season ahead.
Check out the latest NBA news and rumors below.
• The Cleveland Cavaliers and forward Tristan Thompson have agreed to a five-year, $82 million deal. The deal is fully guaranteed, reports Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports. The contract makes Thompson the sixth-highest paid power forward in the NBA.
• Kent Bazemore is likely to replace the departed DeMarre Carroll in the Atlanta Hawks’ starting lineup, according to the Associated Press. Bazemore has started all five preseason games he’s played in. Thabo Sefolosha, another candidate to receive the starting job, has not yet fully recovered from a broken leg.
• The San Antonio Spurs waived guard Jimmer Fredette and three others. The Spurs also released Youssou Ndoye, Deshaun Thomas and Keifer Sykes, reports ESPN. Fredette had a storied college career at BYU, but has failed to find a role in the NBA.
• The Utah Jazz signed forward E.J. Singler, according to the team’s website. Singler played college ball at Oregon and spent last season in Estonia. He is the younger brother of Oklahoma City Thunder forward Kyle Singler.
• The Minnesota Timberwolves exercised contract options on five players for the 2016–17 season, reports Fox Sports. Andrew Wiggins, Zach LaVine and Adreian Payne had their third-year options applied, while Gorgui Dieng and Shabazz Muhammad had their fourth-year options picked up.
• Lance Stephenson is looking for redemption this season with the Los Angeles Clippers. The talented guard struggled in Charlotte last season, and told Yahoo! Sports he must prove himself this season.