The NBA trade deadline is Feb. 18 at 3 p.m. ET, and as usual, the rumors have begun to swirl in full. With the league’s annual summit at All-Star weekend days away and meetings set to take place behind closed doors, the buzz will only intensify as the deadline nears.
Numerous big names could be on the move, as contenders look to bolster their teams ahead of the NBA playoffs. Other teams could be looking to unload salary ahead of the summer, when the salary cap will jump to unprecedented levels. Teams rumored to be looking to make moves include the Miami Heat, Orlando Magic, Toronto Raptors, Boston Celtics and more.
Who’s staying? Who’s going? Stay tuned for updates as the clock continues to tick.
• The Houston Rockets have initiated trade conversations with other teams regarding center Dwight Howard ahead of the Feb. 18 trade deadline, reports The Vertical’s Adrian Wojnarowski. The Vertical reports that the Celtics are the team best set up to get a deal done for Howard. However, the Boston Globe reports the Celtics are unlikely to acquire the star center.
• The Cleveland Cavaliers are interested in trading for Sacramento Kings guard Ben McLemore, but the Kings have refused their offers, reports Chris Haynes of Cleveland.com. ESPN’s Brian Windhorst reports the Cavaliers are also interested in Hawks guard Kyle Korver and Pelicans guard Tyreke Evans and center Omer Asik.
• The frontrunners to replace former Brooklyn Nets general manager Billy King are former Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo, Nuggets assistant general manager Arturas Karnisovas and Spurs assistant general manager Sean Marks, reports ESPN’s Mike Mazzeo.
• Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitutionreports the Hawks are not actively trying to deal point guard Jeff Teague but are listening to offers for everyone on their roster. The Philadelphia Inquirer reported the 76ers have engaged the Hawks in trade talks for Teague or his backup Dennis Schroder. The 76ers aren’t expected to make a serious push, according to the report.
• Chris Mannix said on CSN New England that the Boston Celtics are in the mix for Hawks center Al Horford, but that the asking price for Horford and Teague is “borderline ridiculous.” The Celtics possess numerous attractive trade assets to acquire a star.
• The Nets have reportedly reached out to the Hawks for Paul Millsap, according to Alan Hahn on ESPN Radio.
• The Minnesota Timberwolves have refuted any reports that they have been contacted with interest for Ricky Rubio, according to Darren Wolfson of KSTP in Minneapolis.
• ESPN’s Brian Windhorst reports the Toronto Raptors are interested in forwards Thaddeus Young, Kenneth Faried and Markieff Morris.
• The Miami Herald’s Ethan Skolnick reports the Miami Heat are interested in Kings’ shooter Omri Casspi. The Heat are near the bottom of the league in three-point shooting percentage.
• Basketball Insiders’s Steve Kyler reports the Orlando Magic have engaged the Los Angeles Clippers on trade talks.