Take a look at the latest news and rumors around the NBA.
By Tom Downey, Chat Sports
The Golden State Warriors defeated the Cleveland Cavaliers 104–89 in Game 1 of the NBA Finals, despite Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson combining for just 20 points. Game 2 is Sunday, and while fans will be watching to see if Golden State can extend its lead, the rest of the NBA has already turned its attention to the off-season.
Check out the latest NBA rumors and news below.
• The Atlanta Hawks and Philadelphia 76ers have discussed a trade centered on Nerlens Noel and Jeff Teague, reports Shams Charania of The Vertical. In addition to Noel, Nik Stauskas and/or Robert Covington could be shipped out, reports the Philadelphia Inquirer.
• The Toronto Raptors and head coach Dwane Casey have agreed to a contract extension. The Vertical’s Adrian Wojanarowski reports the deal is for three years and $18 million.
• The Memphis Grizzlies have landed assistant coach J.B. Bickerstaff, reports Wojanarowski. The Lakers were also trying to hire the former Houston Rockets interim head coach.
• The New Orleans Pelicans are high on Croatia forward Dragan Bender, reports ESPN’s Chad Ford. Bender could be a replacement for Ryan Anderson, who could leave in free agency.
• John Wall underwent surgery on his knees in May, but the Washington Wizards guard told the Washington Post he’s in no rush to return. Wall said his priority is being ready for the regular season and he’ll take as much time as he needs to get healthy.
• Ben Simmons, the favorite to be No. 1 overall pick in the NBA draft, has yet to commit to working out for any team, including the 76ers and Lakers. However, Ford reports the 76ers will still likely take Simmons No. 1 overall.