The latest news and rumors from the NBA off-season including Russell Westbrook staying with the Oklahoma City Thunder for the upcoming season, and Blake Griffin being traded.
By Brian Rauf, Chat Sports
The NBA free–agency frenzy has slowed down, but the league’s off-season drama never stops. The trade market is filled with rumors about the futures of Oklahoma City Thunder guard Russell Westbrook and Los Angeles Clippers forward Blake Griffin.
Check out the latest NBA rumors below.
• Westbrook wants to stay with the Thunder for the 2016-17 season, reports Anthony Slater of The Oklahoman.
• The Boston Celtics and other teams interested in acquiring Griffin are concerned about the long-term health of his partially torn left quad, reports Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald.
• Golden State Warriors president Rick Welts told Tiki Barber and Brandon Tierney of CBS Sports Radio that Warriors forward Kevin Durant did not promise to re-sign with the team after his current one-year deal with a player option for a second year.
• J.R. Smith is seeking a $15 million per year contract from the Cleveland Cavaliers, reports Steve Kyler of Basketball Insiders.
• Minnesota Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor doesn’t expect point guard Ricky Rubio to be traded, reports Sid Hartman of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.
• Timberwolves point guard Tyus Jones has been named the 2016 Summer League MVP. The Timberwolves will play the Chicago Bulls in the Summer League championship game on Monday night.
• Warriors center Anderson Varejao won’t accept a championship ring from the Cavs if he is offered one, reports Sam Amico of Fox Sports Ohio. Varejao is eligible to get a ring after being released by Cleveland after 31 games the season before.